Bait spray

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
Ribfisher
Occasional
Occasional

Bait spray

Post by Ribfisher »

Hi anyone have any thoughts or comments on sea fishing bait enhancers.

work or don't work.

Personally i would have thought if a bait is injected with it you may ratain the smell in water .

Spraying ?????

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Predatory fish (most of them) have very sensitive scent detectors (otherwise they don't survive). This means that they can easily pick up slight scents in the water from yards away provided the current is running in their direction. Explains why few fish are caught at slack water when almost no current is running. Using these sorts of additives therefore makes little difference because the fish are quite capable of picking up the scent trail coming from a single lugworm or small slice of mackerel and swimming up to it. It amuses me that some guys put loads of lug on their hooks when a single worm does the job just as well. My first (5lb) codling came about three weeks ago to a single lug worm which in fact was quite small and was just lobbed out to hopefully find a dab. Also last week I took quite a number of whiting including three which were large and plump, again using just single lug worms. All these fish were taken at night which once again proves that the fish are well capable of finding baits without the use of enhancers of any description.