Freeze, refreeze bait question ?

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
scoob8254
Regular
Regular

Freeze, refreeze bait question ?

Post by scoob8254 »

hello again,

just wondering what people thoughts are about refreezing certain baits, do they keep well, do they refreeze well etc etc. as i buy all my shellfish baits like mussels razor etc, its a pain when u get a crap night, and you come back with most of what you bought, and for the amount you get they arent cheap.

just wondering which baits people refreeze if any,

tight lines
scoob

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

re:

Post by mrix »

For one, re-freezing Sandeels is a big No No as shorty after they defrost the first time around they turn to mush.
Could not really comment on Razor fish as I have never had much success on them and basically stopped using them.
Cheers
mrix

bucko
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bucko »

Personally I will only refreeze black lug, and only then if I'm going to be using it for sole fishing.
Good bait is vital most of the time.

tensenervoushaddock
Regular
Regular

Post by tensenervoushaddock »

shellfish are fine to refreeze, the fish is usually faced with less than fresh food, they are not fussy eaters. Dabs will seek out the manky bait in preference to fresh.

Ribfisher
Occasional
Occasional

squid

Post by Ribfisher »

Squid is about the best bait to re freeze.
most fish baits go soft soggy and fall to bits after they have been frozen once.

I don' know about worm baits Frozen.

However fresh bait to make ready to freeze.

I place the ragworm on dry paper and cover with table salt
wait a while then take one worm at a time and wrap in newspaper each time
turning the paper and inserting another worm.
make a few wraps this way and freeze.

when you get out fishing again only take what you thing you will need that trip.
when you open the packet they look like they have shrunk to nothing .
However put them on the hook and when wet they will swell up again.
Dead works do not fish as well as fresh.

orion

Post by orion »

As already said black lug and squid will refreeze no probs, it sometimes fishes better when refrozen.
as for sandeels & peelers ect, get a (bait flask) a stainless steel wide necked one, just take out what you'll need then what you don't use will go back in freezer :)

scoob8254
Regular
Regular

Post by scoob8254 »

thanks for all the replies, some usefull info here

scoobs

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Post by essexkenny »

I tend to defrost and freeze black lug a few times before i use them. Works well in the summer for flatfish. But they do start to really stink after a while and it can turn your stomach. Defrost them and leave them for a day, then refreeze them, and then do this two or three times and they stink to high heaven.

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

i have re-frozen macky also,and its not too bad,abit mushy but with a squid strip wrapped around its fine,sprats are ok

i will refreeze squid as much as needed until it turns pink and stinks (rancid) then chuck it.

a friend of mine puts his back in the fridge and wonders why it dont last as long!!!! theres no telling some people,each to thier own

Andy1i