keeping rag

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
bluelion
Occasional
Occasional

keeping rag

Post by bluelion »

can anyone tell me..............how to keep rag ......got loads left over .....................except the one the eel ate,,,,,,, not a good sesion...................cheers lads,,,,,,

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

The top and bottom of it is that it can't be done for more than an few days.
Cheers
keith :D :D

stroodsue
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by stroodsue »

wrap them in paper n change it every day they could last for 3 days if you're lucky!!
if not get out and fish them!!
Sue

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

is it possible to freeze them like lug? as im getting to use quite alot of worm at the moment (usually a all round squid man).cheers Andy1i

buster175
Regular
Regular

Post by buster175 »

You cant do it they just sort of explode when you try to put whats left of them on your hook as i found out when i tried to freeze them
Cheers Dave

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

looks like i'll give that idea a miss then,cheers dave.

Andy1i

Carol99

Post by Carol99 »

I've kept rag for a good five days by wrapping in paper with vermiculite and then leaving it alone, constantly opening it and changing the temp will cause probs so best to leave it. It obviously wont be as fresh as when you put it in the fridge but assuming it was freshly dug when you got it it should last a good four or five days

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

excuse my ignorance but what is vermiculite?

Andy1i

Carol99

Post by Carol99 »

http://www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk/ac ... rlite.html

When you buy ragworm froma tackle shop it generally comes either in Vermiculite or sea peat.

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

oh right thanks and how does it prolong the life if the worm? its just this is a completely new concept to me,im generally a squid only man,but ive been getting into worm at the moment for the dover soles. Andy1i

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

i was fishing with a guy a while back who had king rag that he dug 6 days earlier. he kept them in a bucket of that vermiculite stuff in the fridge and they looked as good as new. he said the longest he had them before use in it was 9 days and they still wriggled like mad and caught fish.

not sure about the normal rag tho, i just keep them in a fridge in the containers they come in from the tackle shop with the shingle and after about 4 days they start to get a bit mushy but usually a few will still be useable after a week. i wouldnt be depending on them tho after the 4 days.