which is your prefered bait for SOLE?

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
stroodsue
Advanced User
Advanced User

which is your prefered bait for SOLE?

Post by stroodsue »

hiya all

having NOT specifically targeted SOLE i am wondering what the best bait and rigs i should be using!!
please advise!

Sue

kev37
Occasional
Occasional

Post by kev37 »

hi sue my best bait for sole is rag,lug worm B-)

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Hi Sue, Had a few sole in my time and boy are they great for dinner!. Anyway you have to understand where they are likely to hang out and how they feed. 1. is near sandbanks with plenty of worm casts (have a look at low water.) 2. is they wander slowly along the seabed sniffing for worm and other little morsels.
This means that the top bait as far as I am concerned is lug on a size 4 or 2 aberdeen hook (no larger). The rig has to have short snoods (no more than 15 cms) with a few split shot on becuase it is essential that the worm stays put on the seabed.
Do not ever strike because they will hook themselves and give them plenty of time to do this. Often the first sign of interest will be a few little trembles but do not be tempted to lift the rod. Give the fish plenty of time to be sure they have got hooked - ususally indicated by a couple of definite tugs and in the case of the biggies maybe even a bit of thrashing about. Then just wind in.
ATB

bucko
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bucko »

If you've got any worms from previous trips that are frozen, use them for sole because they love em. :)
Dont cast out too far either, they come fairly close in which is handy for avoiding crabs.

madmike300uk
Occasional
Occasional

Post by madmike300uk »

hi sue
very small hooks size 4 or 6 aberdeens on a long flowing trace works well

stroodsue
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by stroodsue »

well i not caught one yet! lol

still on the hunt
thank you for all your valuable advise!!

Sue

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

madmike300uk wrote:hi sue
Sorry Mike but this wrong. It is essential that snoods are short so that the worm stays put rather than drifting about in the current. If you don't believe me, check with Solehunter (Dave Slingsby) who is the Solent expert and has had scores of sole in the last few years.

madmike300uk
Occasional
Occasional

Post by madmike300uk »

eccles wrote:
madmike300uk wrote:hi sue
Sorry Mike but this wrong. It is essential that snoods are short so that the worm stays put rather than drifting about in the current. If you don't believe me, check with Solehunter (Dave Slingsby) who is the Solent expert and has had scores of sole in the last few years.
Only telling you what works for me I had over 20 last year on this rig so just passing on the info
i'v had 6 this year so far ,sounds like you can catch them on any rig

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

they definately dont like little bits of squid round my way,ive found rag and little lug to be most effective on wire boom rigs with size 4 aberdeens.Andy1i

stroodsue
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by stroodsue »

thank you all! i've tried many things last few times out! giving them another bash soon!!

Sue