WD 40 and Fishing bait ?

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
funkel

WD 40 and Fishing bait ?

Post by funkel »

Hi all i was just wondering has any one else heard of spraying bait with wd40 as a means of improveing your chances of catching i've heard it from a couple of guys now and was just wondering if anyone else had or even if anyone has tryed it and if so what were the results i imagine it works by heiping to spread a scent trail from your bait but is it effective or just a load of old rubbish?

leadchukka14

Post by leadchukka14 »

Funkel,nothing beats the smell off fresh bait.

are worms supposed to smell of wd40?

why buy expensive bait only to drown it in wd40

fresh bait,right rigs and good presentation are all ive ever used.

i got my hands covered in petrol one night filling the tilley and blanked.was that cos my hands transfered smell to the worms?

only my theory /try it and make you own

mike

westy
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by westy »

yes ive heard of it, we use it on whole squid down are way

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Oh dear, here we go again. Sorry mate it's a myth created about 20 years ago when they used to use a bit of fish oil in WD40. The manufacturers gave up using that formula years ago. If you want to do something like that, get some proper fish oil, some tackle shops still sell it but as the man said you can't best proper bait and one of the best for leaving a decent scent trail is mackerel and mackerel guts.

westy
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by westy »

well anything is worth a go if your not getting fish... on my last trip someone was sparying there squid with wd40 and they was caughing fish..so

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

If anyone can find anything here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#Formulation which is likely to attact fish, you're a better man than I am.

westy
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by westy »

well like i z it mayb worth ago. if you cant catch on it then some1 else mite who knows

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

re:

Post by mrix »

If anyone can find anything here
Hmm was thinking the same thing :))

I have read from time to time anglers saying that for some reason it does works for them.
Infact just do a google search for wd40 fishing, you will find many topics on this very subject ;)

cheers
mrix

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

got this off a different forum

the only reason people go for the stuff is because of what it does, even though there are people who think it is an attractant by its self
WD40's main purpose is to break down heavy oils, displace water and leave a thin layer of viscous oil which provides lubrication and protection from moisture..

Code:
WD-40's main ingredients,

* 50%: Stoddard solvent (this stuff breaks down heavy oils)
* 25%: Carbon dioxide gas (propellant )
* 15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
* 10-%: Inert ingredients
There is a popular urban legend that the key ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil

when sprayed on any oily fish the oils in the flesh start to break down and get released into the water quicker, but baits need to be changed on a regular basis to keep a good scent trail going..

so that's all you need to know about WD40

funkel

Post by funkel »

Allright i was just asking if anyone else had heard of this thats all i've been fishing and catching fish for years with well pressented natural baits and i don't to be told about it.I have no intention of trying it as i said in my post i was curious to know if there was any truth in it as i heard from a few guys over the years and thought this would be a good place to ask the question but thanks for all the unrequested advice on baits anyway

cheers
funkel

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

crikey funkel. you asked a question and got replies. no need to be so rude.

you might not get replies from the lads above the next time you want to know anything if your gonna be like that.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Ok chaps, lets keep it on an even keel. Many replies give more than a straight yes or no in the event that their replies and advice may help the originator of the post.

The written word can sometimes be misinterpreted, so please all calm down as we are suposed to be fishing buddies.
Cheers
Rabbi2

leadchukka14

Post by leadchukka14 »

Well put Keith ;)

The same problem everytime the WD40 question comes up.

If you believe in it go and buy it[ simple ].

=))

funkel

Post by funkel »

Rude hardly if you think thats being rude you've led a sheltered life pal
i apoligise to anyone that found my words rude or offensive i ment no harm and i certainly did'nt mean to provoke those of a more senstive disposition.I was just pointing out that i had'nt asked how to leave a good scent trail using natural bait i was asking if anyone had heard of using wd 40 and i thanked those who had replyed with advice unrealated to my question anyway i understand that people elaborate when replying to posts but asumming because i asked the question i knew nothing about using natural bait now i could construe that as being rude if i were sensitive enough to do so but i'm not and i don't and i apoligise again to anyone offended by my words

peace
funkel

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

yeah my apologies too.
i had a fight with the missus and was in a bad mood.

redmouse.