Earthworms?

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Earthworms?

Post by rabbi2 »

Earthworms are a great bait for Flounder in the estuaries although the bait made need changing regularly. The best way of collecting them is to put an old cardboard sheet in a corner of the garden for a week or so and your worms should collect underneath it.
Cheers keith :D

stroodsue
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by stroodsue »

hmm i might give that a go Keith!!
be worth a try save some pennies!! the worms i got on friday for saturday were tiny ! about 3 inches long if that! and most had blown by saturday so i think they may have been the last of what he had grrr... X( . not that i think that would have made a diff to the catch report lol...

Sue

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Hi Sue, The reason I say change them regular is that the salt kills them quickly and blanches them but they will wriggle for a while and flounders love em. cheers keith :D :D :D

mcmole

Post by mcmole »

will try that keith. will they work for dabs as well do you think?
jonny :D :D :D

funkel

Post by funkel »

Hi keith just wondering about the earthworms are they any good for other fish whiting pollack cod etc or is it just flounders also have you had any sucess using them at other venues like piers,beaches and that or is it just esturaies.I often thought of using them myself just to see but its very interesting hear of someone whos used them sucessfully

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

I have used them mostlly for flounders, dont know about other fish. Cheers keith :D :D :D

funkel

Post by funkel »

Cheers keith i might give them a try from my local pier just to see i'll let you know if i have any sucess with them

hagwag

Re: Earthworms?

Post by hagwag »

rabbi2 wrote:The best way of collecting them is to put an old cardboard sheet in a corner of the garden for a week or so and your worms should collect underneath it.
Even easier - lots of soapy water and chuck it over a patch of grass. oodles of the buggers surface as they suffocate otherwise. A little cruel but if your gonna use them as bait anyway................

mudlark

Post by mudlark »

hagwag wrote:
rabbi2 wrote:The best way of collecting them is to put an old cardboard sheet in a corner of the garden for a week or so and your worms should collect underneath it.
Even easier - lots of soapy water and chuck it over a patch of grass. oodles of the buggers surface as they suffocate otherwise. A little cruel but if your gonna use them as bait anyway................
Used to do that to get chub bait and if you do it at night and you get twice the amount of worms.

Gobeyond

Post by Gobeyond »

Used to do that to get chub bait and if you do it at night and you get twice the amount of worms.

Hi all I was wondering if earthworms could be used as I'm new to sea fishing and I found this post. My thoughts are Chub love slugs so does anyone think they could be used for sea fishing, that is if you can stomach putting one a of the slimmey buggers on a hook. :D

strathy
Regular
Regular

Post by strathy »

Earthworms are a demon bait for Dabs Flounder Plaice and mullet anywhere between the viaduct at Arnside all the way up to the Bela and Kent mouths at Milnthorpe.
Very time specific for about 48 hours after heavy rain just as the rivers start dropping off spate.
I found out the fun way whilst trying to catch seatrout and caught everything but the trout.
Its never worked for me below the viaduct.
I can,t even catch chub on the Ribble with slugs but I know they go mental for wasp grubs.

tomtom6

earth worms best way to get em

Post by tomtom6 »

i will let you in to a secret ?? if you have a lawn go uot about an hour after dark with a watering can filled with cold water and FAIRY LIQUID pour on a 2 metre sq patch wait 5 mins. go back with a torch and bait box and you will see hundreds of em. strange but 100 per cent true. :-O

scubadude

Post by scubadude »

ah tom you beat me to it the old worm charming trick, yep the fairy liquid trick. the more water any fairy you can put down the better, there is actually a british comp for this its one of those crazy british things,

tip if you can hang around for ten mins after you put the fairy & water down try stamping on the ground for 5 mins it gets them up quicker, i caight over 50 in about 15 mins once.

ill try them for sea fishing bait next time i get a chance, !!!!
SD

jimjam
Regular
Regular

Post by jimjam »

Definatly going to try this.

James

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

If its any use, i used to keep tropical fish, i had an oscar and he was quite big, no word of a lie, if i held a worm above the tank he would leap out of the water for it. and all the other species liked them too. So, fish being fish, i would imagine salt water fish would eat them, or at least take them in their mouths to try them, if they do that you have them. Cheers..Mick