Multiplier Reel

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
davcon4005

Multiplier Reel

Post by davcon4005 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi everyone

I have not used a multiplier but I am looking to purchase a cheap (just in case I can't use it) easy to use multiplier. All advice as usual will be very welcome and gratefully accepted :) .

Regards
Dave

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:01 pm

You have to ask yourself a question;- why do I want a multiplier reel? Personally I have both but prefer a fixed spool for casting, especially at night as I will not have to mess about with a deadly birds nest tangle when I really just want to catch fish. OK, an FS reel doesn't cast as far but with a good rod and a wide spool, I can still manage well over 100 yds and in my locality that is plenty. So, my multiplier is used only for pier/harbour fishing and of course on a boat when I choose to go. I have seen plenty of folk wrestling with multiplier reel tangles but very few having similar problems with fixed spool reels.

davcon4005

Post by davcon4005 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:13 pm

eccles wrote:You have to ask yourself a question;- why do I want a multiplier reel? Personally I have both but prefer a fixed spool for casting, especially at night as I will not have to mess about with a deadly birds nest tangle when I really just want to catch fish. OK, an FS reel doesn't cast as far but with a good rod and a wide spool, I can still manage well over 100 yds and in my locality that is plenty. So, my multiplier is used only for pier/harbour fishing and of course on a boat when I choose to go. I have seen plenty of folk wrestling with multiplier reel tangles but very few having similar problems with fixed spool reels.
Thanks eccles. I have taken note of what you say and might just stick with what I have. If I come across a cheap one I might buy it and practice on the field.

Cheers Mate

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:13 pm

MY advice would be choose whatever you want to use. Not much in it with distance on the beach its more to do with the caster ;) . Dont be worried about birds nests with multipliers either. If the line is layed correctly and the cast is good then birds nests shouldn't happen. Most birds nests are caused by those 2 problems. Always used a multiplier for day or night and never came across an issue (head lamps are wonderful inventions). Abu reels and diawa are pretty good reels with the abu more forgiving unless you go for the slo5h. But dont be put off using a multiplier at night B-)

P.S Stay clear of multipliers with level winds, again just my opinion.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:09 pm

I presume you are fishing off the beach.
As a user of both reels - when I actually go fishing that is - I note advantages and drawbacks to both. Multipliers are very nice to use and a good one (don't buy cheapies) should not be difficult to use with the mag brakes, or even just the inertial. The main drawback is slow retrieve compared to FS, and perhaps tricker to use at night.

If I were to buy another I would get the new Akios ctm with LH wind. The only reason I don't is there are not enough fish to catch to make it worth the outlay.

davcon4005

Post by davcon4005 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:52 am

Thanks all

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:02 pm

davcon4005

seastreak

Post by davcon4005 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:04 pm

Rabbi2

Cheers Mate. Just been on and had a look at them, I think I will be trying to bid one up.

Dave

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:01 pm

Some pitting can be expected on such an old reel but look at the pics carefully and you should find one in reasonable condition
Cheers
keith :D :D