Shimano Calcutta 400BSV - Quality issue ???

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
sparkyman

Shimano Calcutta 400BSV - Quality issue ???

Post by sparkyman »

Hi again,

I've just purchased my first Shimano reel, the Calcutta 400BSV multiplier. Nice & solid feeling, seems to be of high quality and it was a great price too.

On closer inspection yesterday I notice that the forged frame has a lot of manual re-working, prior to anodising ? It looks as if the crossbar (from the 400B level wind version) had been cut off and cleaned up with a file before it was anodised ?

I wrote to Shimano UK for a definitive answer as to "normal" or "unusual" and unfortunately they told me to take it back to the shop. (oh dear.........full circle pass the buck attitude again - why is British industry plagued with this non committed attitude to "support")

Anyway - I'm hoping other 400BSV owners will be willing to look at their frames and advise if they too have the same rough filing marks on either side of the frame, where the crossbar would normally be on the level-wind version.

I'm only writing as this re-work seems so rough, I can't see how Shimano would ever allow it pass QC - it's so obvious it really detracts from the overall quality of the reel.

I'll post some photos later today

Thanks for your help

sparkyman

Post by sparkyman »

sparkyman

Post by sparkyman »

trying to add .jpg attachments but keep on getting

"Upload Error: Could not upload Attachment to ./modules/Forums/files/pic_0574b_158.jpg."

the images are well under the 250kb upload limit - any help on getting my photos into this thread ??

Thanks

sparkyman

Post by sparkyman »

...not sure if I've worked this our as yet - testing, testing.....

sparkyman

Post by sparkyman »

...looks like it worked, many thanks to FlattieFanatic for the "How to..." post.

These photos are of both sides of the frame - note how the spool shoulder thins out in places. When you ahve the reel in your hand it looks wafer thin (these shots are quite close up).

Anybody else with a Calcutta, please feel free to commenton your own observations in these areas of the frame.

While I'm on a roll (ReelWizard), heres the GreaseXtra & ProtecTool I use on all my reels

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

The Sticky you refer to is http://www.sea-fishing.org/ftopict-8805.html
Cheers
keith :D :D

sparkyman

Post by sparkyman »

Hi Keith,

Thats an extra one I hadn't seen - since looking I found 2 more similar "How to's..." relating to photo uploads

http://sea-fishing.org/ftopict-13984.html

http://www.sea-fishing.org/ftopict-2136.html

They were here all the time - I was just being lazy and gave up searching after the first page of results !