New left handed multiplier

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
buttonz

New left handed multiplier

Post by buttonz »

gynewguy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by gynewguy »

I had the same problem and went for a Ron Thompson Black Knight.

Si

buttonz

Post by buttonz »

gynewguy wrote:I had the same problem and went for a Ron Thompson Black Knight.

Si
any other details ??

how did you find it has it been reliable

strathy
Regular
Regular

Post by strathy »

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

Problem is I believe they all have level wind - 6501 certainly does. Not ideal for beach casting

gynewguy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by gynewguy »

Since this is my first multiplier I've nothing to compare it too. Seems ok though!

strathy
Regular
Regular

Post by strathy »

Gynewguy, the RT is a good Abu clone, and works well, but i doubt you can get spares for it.

Buttonz, what rods are you planning to use the multi,s on as if they,ve only got 5 or 6 rings you will have problems with the line rubbing on the rod blank and either Knackering the line or the blank. What sort of ground are you going to be fishing over and what sort of distances.

Iknowagoodplaice, you can always change a round Abu to a non levelwind reel if you don,t want the levelwind cos of the shockleader knot catching. Try blakdog.co.uk .Or just fish braid straight through and you,ve one less knot to collect weed. And if you get a couple of casting lessons and fish braid straight through with a decent rod you should be able to fish baits out to 120yds without too much trouble. Levelwinds only cost you 10-20% of your casting distance in realworld fishing situations.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Good advice indeed, the number of people that have taken off the level wind without the conversion bar is unbelievable and of course they end up with a twisted cage, even so the distance gained with end tackle on is minute.
Cheers
keith :D :D

ballkeeper
Occasional
Occasional

Post by ballkeeper »

if you don,t want the levelwind cos of the shockleader knot catching
simply open the lw bars a little ,then the knot flys through

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

strathy and rabbi

Yes, I know you can convert them (been thinking of doing so) though not everyone wants to go to the trouble. (Pity they don't do a LH CT).

But 10-20% off distance is quite a lot, especially when a baited rig also reduces distance by a similar amount.

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

Re: New left handed multiplier

Post by celticcatch »

ballkeeper
Occasional
Occasional

Post by ballkeeper »

you cast -strike with your right hand ? well the only diff will be your now wind in too with your right

i know iam a left
hand wind too

and with no levelwind your also use your left hand /thumb to guide the line.

you could buy s/h abu 6500 or sl20sh or 30 from 35-60 quid dont like it then sell it on

gynewguy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by gynewguy »

Each to their own but a combination of the scarcity of LH multipliers and the fear of birdsnesting put me off multipliers for a long time.
I've personally taken to my LH multiplier well. Having my FS fall apart one session forced me into using my multiplier which I'd been putting off for ages. Having said that everyone is different I guess!

Si

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

I have used braid on a multiplier in the past and have been happy with it but have reverted to using it on a fixed spool only.

The problem that arises is that over the years braid has undergone such a change so much so that 80lb quality braid can be as thin as 12 to 15lb mono, being so thin the line tends to dig itself under the previous coils resulting in a jerky cast and a birdy.

It is great for a boat reel but as I said for a casting multiplier, a definite no, no
Cheers
keith :D :D