The meaning of 'Big Pit'?

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

The meaning of 'Big Pit'?

Post by Judgegeoff »

Hi,
I expect that I am now going to highlight my great ignorance of sea fishing, but can somebody please explain what the words 'Big Pit' mean in relation to fixed spool reels. I keep seeing the words mentioned in catalogues and adverts and, as I am now looking for a surf reel, feel I ought to know this.
Many thanks, Geoff

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

'Big pit reels' are from the Carp world, basically they are a Beach/surf caster reel to be used for distance casting, I understand that you are a recently returned fishing 'Aficionado' you will find that a lot of Coarse, Carp, Sea angling tackle now crosses over and is used in different senarios,............. got to be honest I dont know whether the salt water would corode or have a bad effect on them but if you rinse them after use in a Sea function I would imagine they would do a more than adequate job, a few of the more expensive models incorporate the 'Bait runner' feature which in my opinion should be an option on all F/S reels coarse or Sea .

Cheers...................JOLI

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Judgegeoff »

Thanks Joli, now I understand.
It is one of those phrases that is in general use but, even on 'Google', I couldn't find a definative answer to it. It makes a lot of sense now, so many thanks.
Cheers, Geoff