Controlling mechanically braked multipliers

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Controlling mechanically braked multipliers

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

I use an old Abu 5500 for light shore fishing on occasions (has level wind) and usually I lightly rest my thumb on the spool during the cast. Yesterday I kept it clear during the cast - birds nest. I checked the brake blocks this morning - two, both clean and free to move.

Is the technique with these reels to lightly brake with thumb, or can one adjust the brakes to do the job? Grateful for your views.

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

how is the braking system? six point centrifuge? how many brake blocks do you have on? in my recent foray into multis has given me limited knowledge,but i think "thumbing" to stop overrun helps.no doubt our resident wizard will advise further.

all the best

Andy

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Hi Andy
It's a 2-point centrifuge - tiny white plastic blocks. As it's not a casting reel as such perhaps it's underbraked for that purpose.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Thanks reel_wizard, that's very helpful. I'll stick with the thumb method as I wouldn't want to slow it too much. It's worked pretty well before I tried zero braking.

Boxerman

Post by Boxerman »

When I started sea fishing all those years ago, very few multipliers had any braking systems, apart from tightening up the spool end caps. The only braking control was applied by thumb.
Coming back to the game 16 years later I find that reels are comparatively cheaper and far more sophisticated with mechanical and magnetic brakes - sometimes both.
The result is that the new reels are far better behaved than the old ones and perhaps once set up properly don't need any operator input, although my habit of using my thumb still persists. Perhaps I would be able to cast further if I could learn to trust the reel?

strathy
Regular
Regular

Post by strathy »

The 2 block Abu,s are always a little more flighty than the later 4 and 6 block ones. The most unpredictable were the ones with two fibre/cork? blocks that could be brilliant one cast then useless the next.
You always need a well trained thumb if you want to get max distance as the more brakes you use the shorter your casts, and it gives you a better chance of stopping birdies when fishing in gusty weather.