foray into multi's

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

foray into multi's

Post by andy1_i »

ive taken the leap into the murky world of multipliers aquired myself a cheap but quality multi,okuma nitryx 250,just to get used to one on the local field. i have removed the levelwind (simples) and have gone down to just a single break block,i wont be winning any awards with distance as yet lol.was wondering if anybody has got/used one and how you got on with it?

all the best

Andy

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Hi Andy mate why remove the level wind? I can understand tournament casters doing this but the distance gained is only possibly 10yds from the average caster. As well as this you leave a two holes in the cage where sand and crap can get in unless you use two blanking plugs.
Cheers
keith :D :D

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

Post by celticcatch »

Your running the risk of twisting the cage.

When i've heard of people taking the levelwind off abu's they buy a strengthening bar to replace it and cut out the top bar.

Without a levelwind you can get more of your thumb over the spool and when you want to put it out there a fair distance the leader knot isn't going to crack off on the slot.

Having no levelwind means there's one less thing that can go wrong aswell.

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

ive left the mechanism that the levelwind was on (the little plastic bit that line goes through) in situ,so there shouldnt be an issue with casing integrity.as the reel is only for practice until i upgrade as most multi's dont have a L/wind and very much doubt it will get used for angling as it is only really a baitcaster for light work,was more wondering if anybody had used this type of reel and had any issues with it.

but thanks for the advice chaps

all the best

Andy

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

Post by baitdigger »

I have an old 'Okuma Convector' which I keep for nasty stuff, it has 30 lb line on it and does it's job well.
I was one of the 'spoiled ones' and my first foray into multipliers was with one of the first Penn 525's so I have always used then 525's since then. I still have trouble with over-run with the Okuma if I try to cast it rather than just give it a gentle lob into conger terratory.

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

love okuma reels period. havent had a too much problem with over run,as im now "spooling" it,i must have got it set up correctly now or my cast has improved.so now im looking to get a diawa 7HT,as i have got the confidence to use one. i must say even though the okuma is primarily a baitcaster its very user friendly,and shall be taking it out for its sea trials on sunday evening 25/7/10

all the best

Andy

ps i might look into the penn 525's though,on baitdiggers recommendation ;)

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

Andy you will do well, nothing wrong with OKUMA tackle, check out the 'flipper' mode if it is a bait caster ......................good luck .JOLI

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

Post by baitdigger »

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

cheers b/digger.

joli....im looking for the 'flipper' mode...... but haven't seen a dolphin anywhere >:)

all the best

Andy

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

as usual the wizard comes through,top bloke =D> ,great advice.

i shall heed your valuable wisdom

all the best

Andy

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

cheers wizard,fortunately i know a couple of big hitters who are willing to give me some instruction if needed (free).i have now settled for an abu mag elite (secondhand) but in good nick .the little okuma i have was and is just for practice,i know each reel has its own uniqueness but i reckon i should be fine.thanks again for your indepth knowledge wizard.

all the best

Andy