An alternative to the Penn 850

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
dickyp
Occasional
Occasional

Penn 850

Post by dickyp »

I finally wrote off my Penn 850 reel while on holiday recently. For the second time the drag nut just went round and round as its just plastic; no wonder.

Bought an Avusurf 7000 which appears ok

dickyp

colinthefish
Regular
Regular

Post by colinthefish »

Gentlemen,
Thankyou for all your comments which are all appreciated. Please do not get into any spats over differing views - we are all entitled to our opinions and will all form our own views. I am grateful for all information and it never hurts to have more options offered.
As for my search for a replacement reel, I have decided that at the moment funds are too tight to splash out on a top end reel (but its added to the Christmas list). I think I am going to go for the Shakespear Salt.
After all - my fishing tackle box is constantly evolving and I'm only in my second year of fishing after 20 odd years away from it. So not only is my kit evolving but so is my knowledge and somewhat more slowly, my ability.
Your experience and help is always appreciated. If ever any of you are down on the Isle of Sheppey in Kent, then come say "Hi".

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

colinthefish
Regular
Regular

Post by colinthefish »

I may be mad, and may incur the Wrath of some but at the last moment I changed my mind and bought a Mitchell Avocast 7000.

Shortly after which I received a PM that pointed me in the direction of a Diawa at a great price. Now I'm wondering if I can get away with buying both. (Thank you for the PM).

Many thanks for all your advise and comments - if one thing is clear, its that your preference of reels is a very personal choice with one person rating a reel whilst others do not. Its clear my initial choice - The Penn 850 is not the best out there and although part of the same family, I hope my Mitchell stands the test of time.

I will write a report on it after it is used in anger.

Thanks again for all your comments.

dickyp
Occasional
Occasional

Penn 850

Post by dickyp »

I totally agree with reewizard. I bought 2 Penn 850,s on ebay a couple of years ago and have had nothing but trouble with them.

I have got to say though that when I contacted Purefishing aboiut the problems they always came up trumps with spare parts at the only cost of the postage.

I will only have half the trouble now that I have written one off.

dickyp

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga »

SeaTurtle wrote:Anything by Daiwa !

End of !

Dave
Would agree with ST-always had good service from Daiwa reels for my saltwater work,Mick :) :) :)