Abu Cardinal f/s reel

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
conga
Regular
Regular

Abu Cardinal f/s reel

Post by conga »

Abu have brought out an up to date Cardinal reel,its had some good comments on quality etc,looks like it might be Ok for light sea angling(300 yds 15lb line) anyone got/seen one? I ask cause the freshwater ones I had in the past were silky smooth and very reliable. Cheers,Mick :D :D

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

Post by celticcatch »

The cardinal looks nice. Supposed to be good for braid use. I may even have to get myself one if I end up getting a lure rod

conga
Regular
Regular

Re: Abu Cardinal f/s reel

Post by conga »

reel_wizard wrote:
conga wrote:Abu have brought out an up to date Cardinal reel,its had some good comments on quality etc,looks like it might be Ok for light sea angling(300 yds 15lb line) anyone got/seen one? I ask cause the freshwater ones I had in the past were silky smooth and very reliable. Cheers,Mick :D :D
If by freshwater ones you mean the classic 70s and 80s models then you will probably be dissappointed with the latest ones I'm afraid. They are smooth to start with but the latest models don't seem to stay that way for long .... I had one for spinning a few years back and it lasted one season before the roller head bearing gave up .... just. Also spares are not available would you believe? I could have just got a replacement bearing (they are a common size) but to be honest I just couldn't be bother as it really wasn't up to much. Made in China I hasten to add.
Yes they were the classic Cardinals-pity they could not have incorporated a baitrunner system at the time like the later Shimano reels...aah well!!

lightyiow

Post by lightyiow »

I am not sure about the Cardinals, but the Sorons are good.
I've been using the 70 model for a few weeks now with Braid for long distance
beach fishing and its been excellent, handled everything that been thrown at it!

lighty

monsterfish

Post by monsterfish »

We sell loads of Soron STX reels top knotch. However there price tag is much higher than a Cardinal. The Cardinal SWI range is very good for the money and should last you if looked after. Great all round reel.