Problem with freespool button - Abu garcia 6500 mag pro

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
Tutty

Problem with freespool button - Abu garcia 6500 mag pro

Post by Tutty »

I recently bought an Abu garcia 6500 mag pro and occassionally when i cast the free spool button pops out and the lead comes crashing down in front of my feet.

Has any one else had this problem and does anyone know why this is happening? Solutions?

Ive read that it may be that the new powerhandle gains momentum and turns the switch to engage.

stingraysteve
Occasional
Occasional

Post by stingraysteve »

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head, as you're in the cast the handle wants to also move some kind of thing called physics, possibly try your casts with the handle in different positions on the reel as to find a point that the handle does'nt want to turn then just remember to use that position each time, hope this makes sense

Tutty

Post by Tutty »

thanks for the help. Im going fishing this weekend so will try different handle positions.

If this doesn't work ill also try to notch the button. Is this just a case of getting the hack saw out? Which is better knotching front or back of switch?

Captain_Mainwaring

Post by Captain_Mainwaring »

If you dont want to notch the free spool button you can put a rubber band round the end plate and slip it over the free spool button when you cast.

ReelWiz- i sometimes loosen the drag right off when I cast just in case the spool engages- do you think this could do any damage to the reel

Tutty

Post by Tutty »

Cheers. That article is very good. Shame to have to do this to a brand new reel though. Do you know why this is common with the 6500 series. Is the design different to other reels?

Captain_Mainwaring

Post by Captain_Mainwaring »

reel_wizard wrote:
Captain_Mainwaring wrote:If you dont want to notch the free spool button you can put a rubber band round the end plate and slip it over the free spool button when you cast.

ReelWiz- i sometimes loosen the drag right off when I cast just in case the spool engages- do you think this could do any damage to the reel
Nope .... I once broke a very pretty little 6500 when the clutch return spring snapped mid cast and I had the clutch wound down. If you think about it, the clutch is there to give line to a fish before the line or reel breaks ... it would do the same job in the cast. Worst that can happen is you knacker the clutch but thats a lot cheaper to fix than gears or brake plates. Pain in the bum to have to keep adjusting the drag though.

Incidentially the damage to my favourite 6500? Pulled the drive shaft pin straight out of the brake plate (which cracked) .... distorted the spool and ripped the teeth off the pinion gear - I was not a happy bunny. :((
Cheers- that's what I thought but just wanted to check.