Distance fixed spool reel! help please

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
worzule

Distance fixed spool reel! help please

Post by worzule »

Anyone know what the shimano ultegra 1000xsb fixed spool reel is like? Need something for extra distance! if not, what would you recommend? :D :D :D

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

Post by celticcatch »

Can't comment on that reel but i've got a navi xsa 7000 and i'm happy with it. I think the shimano ultegra 1000xsb will be too small. You want a 'big pit' reel that swallows line...7/8000 size and fill it with 12-15lb and you can't really go wrong

rockhoper
Regular
Regular

Post by rockhoper »

diawa emblems or diawa spod reel great reels, the diawa ss3000s ar great if you can get old of one second hand, cheers ian

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

The important bit is a good wide spool which is why I use a Diawa but there are others and agree with celtic's comment about "big-pit" reels; need to make sure they will stand up to salt water conditions though.

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga »

eccles wrote:The important bit is a good wide spool which is why I use a Diawa but there are others and agree with celtic's comment about "big-pit" reels; need to make sure they will stand up to salt water conditions though.
Thats very true Eccles,there are a lot of budget "big pit" reels about these days that will hack it in freshwater but will look rather sad after a few hard sessions on the beach.A good clean will help after every trip but its no substitute for a good corrosion resistant brand,like yourself I have a pair of Diawas (for distance work in freshwater)but they are equally happy when used on my beachcasters,2 years old and no signs of corrosion as yet, Mick :) :)

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

Post by celticcatch »

http://www.fostersofbirmingham.co.uk/st55594

you can't beat shimano bang for buck. ok the spool isn't tapered like most big pits but you do get an option to lay the line mostly at the front or back or just level as normal by swapping the order of the washers under the spool