525 freespool switch

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

525 freespool switch

Post by celticcatch »

Took my new rod and reel out today for a few practice casts..luckily I took another rod because I ran into a few problems.

I was using the reel down the butt to begin with and the first cast went about 20 yards. :P I had a thick jacket on and thought that maybe the line was catching/rubbing it and slowing it down as the reel is lively and the rod pokey...should've gone at least 50-60.

Anyway..weather warmed up and jacket came off so I tried again..and again it seemed the lead just trebuchetd it's self into the ground without giving hardly any line. So I double check everythings in order...line not wrapped around the tip..passing through each eye etc etc. Even tried with the reel up the rod and it made no diffrence..

Then I realise my freespool switch...doesn't actually let it go into freespool X( and the only reason it was letting out any line at all was because the drag was a bit loose. Or at least that's what I think was happening :-/

Can anyone help me. What is wrong with it...how much am I looking at..how do I fix...yada yada..

Thanks in advance

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

Post by celticcatch »

Just had a quick look over it and it's working fine now #:-S I tightened the screw for the freespool/gear switch and now it seems to spin freely. Will be taking a screwdriver with me in future and hopefully if I get some spare time today I can go test it out over some grass

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

ive been told by a few people that having the drag a little loose when casting can wreck the gears so make sure its tight before you cast it.
also told that when packing the reel away that i should have the drag set fairly loose. not sure the reason for this but only takes a second so i do it anyway.

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

Post by celticcatch »

I've got spare drag washer,gears,pinions etc for it and I only had 3 casts with the it so i'm not too concerned, but thanks for the thought. I know it's best to tighten the drag up on F/S but...i'm not sure if it really matters on a multiplier.

You should loosen them off when not in use because you can crush the fibre washers and they won't work as well.

Anyway..managed to get out and use it yesterday. Freespool switch was disengaging properly. Just need to brush up on my technique for the rod B-)

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Post by essexkenny »

redmouse wrote:ive been told by a few people that having the drag a little loose when casting can wreck the gears so make sure its tight before you cast it.
also told that when packing the reel away that i should have the drag set fairly loose. not sure the reason for this but only takes a second so i do it anyway.
You dont have to tighten the drag on a multiplier when casting at all. The spool rotates completely individually of the drive train so will have no effect what so ever on the gears.

You should tighten up the drag when casting a fixed spool though, as if the drag slips half way through a cast, the line being held by your finger will cut into your finger like cheesewire.

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

redmouse wrote:ive been told by a few people that having the drag a little loose when casting can wreck the gears so make sure its tight before you cast it.
the drag has no effect during casting. When the reel is in gear, the drag is there to "give line" when a fish pulls hard. when casting , the gears are disengaged and the drag has no effect.

When putting a reel away its always advisable to slacken the drag off to prevent damage due to pressure on the drag washers.