Daiwa 7ht Reel ?

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
phatboy
Occasional
Occasional

Daiwa 7ht Reel ?

Post by phatboy »

ive been given an old daiwa 7ht millionaire tournament reel but as ive never used a multiplier reel before i havent got a clue how to use it.
i have 3 questions:

1. it probably sounds like a stupid question but is it possible to retrofit a levelwind to this reel? and if not how do i make sure the line lays properly on the spool when reeling in?

2. would this reel be any good for light inshore fishing from a kayak for pollack, bass etc?

3. what is that round dial numbered 0-9 on the side opposite the handle for?

:-/ :-/ :-/
Cheers
Phill

phatboy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by phatboy »

cheers for that

1 more question:
i need to refill the spool. i intend using it mainly for beach casting and from the kayak in the summer. ive decided to invest in some braid but what knot would be best to tie on a mono leader?

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

Post by celticcatch »

The dial 0-9 is the magnetic control?

Phatboy.. that was my main concern making the change over to multiplier, it's easy and I started using my thumb and index finger to hold the line under tension and lay it...after a few practice casts I naturally just started using my thumb.

Just make sure the line isn't loose going onto the spool.

Captain_Mainwaring

Post by Captain_Mainwaring »

celticcatch wrote:The dial 0-9 is the magnetic control?

Phatboy.. that was my main concern making the change over to multiplier, it's easy and I started using my thumb and index finger to hold the line under tension and lay it...after a few practice casts I naturally just started using my thumb.

Just make sure the line isn't loose going onto the spool.
No- it's not the magnetic control- not on a standard black 7ht on which there is no magnet braking system- just brake blocks- you're thinking of the new blue 7HT Magnofuge reels

jim79
Regular
Regular

Post by jim79 »

to be honest i wouldnt put braid on a multi especialy if youre new to using them , the lower diameter braid is a nightmare when in a birdie, atleast stick to mono until you get used to casting with it

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

as jim said, keep well away from braid on a multi unless its for a boat.

best thing to do is get some cheap line with a thick diameter or use stuff heavier than normal. the thicker line will be easier to use on a multi for a beginner. when(not if) you get a nest it will be much easier to pick out and if you have to cut it you wont be too much out of pocket. dont get too down hearted with nests, youll pick it up eventually and get them less and less.
i used berkley big game when i got mine first. its a bit thicker than most other 15lbs and it was cheap.

phatboy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by phatboy »

cheers guys
ill stick to mono until i get the hang of the reel and maybe change to braid later on.
ive got some 20lb mono in the shed (not sure of diameter though) will this do to get started with a 60lb leader?

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

All the wise advice is against braid for beachcasting. It has a nasty habit of bedding into itself, with obvious consequences. Okay on a boat, but even there bedded in line can lose you a big fish - as I know well.

jim79
Regular
Regular

Post by jim79 »

i only ever use braid on my spinning gear , although i may start using it on 1 of my FS reels at 1 of my marks with a hefty tide ripping through , just to see how much it cuts down the linen drag.