brake failure

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
guyos

brake failure

Post by guyos »

Hi folks

I am just starting to learn to use the multiplier reading a lot from the forums.

I have an Abu 6500 C3 Ct mag elite reel bought on ebay looks in very good nick, but my problem is setting it up, it already had line and shockleader on it, but I read that I should put a weight on it and hold the rod up, tighten the knob on the end and adjust it till the weight just slides down slowly and stop. Trouble is, however much I tighten it and even using the other knob as well, the weight just races to the ground. These adjustments make no difference at all with both knobs screwed tight.

I looked inside and matched the schematic and nothing is missing, I even oiled it with the Abu oil.

Please advise my next step Thanks

Guyos

whitbydiver
Regular
Regular

Post by whitbydiver »

:D hi there it sounds like the brakes have been removed from the inner spool if my memory is correct there should be 2 small rubber brakes on the inner spool opposite side to the handle,just po a side plate off n ave a look ,i hope this helps.
screemin reels
whitby

edwards73
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by edwards73 »

best person to ask on here would be REEL_WIZARD
my self have got 2 abu 6500 c3 ct mag's and have had no problem setting them up as some1 said about brake blocks on the spool mayb missing but myself dont use brake blocks i just use the mag as the blocks only slow it down when the cast is in full flow not when your dropping it down from a rod. if your tightening it right down with the spool blances and the reel still dont go tight when you took it apart was there a large brass bit on the mag side inside the reel? as thats the main part that tightens it down. another thing to be carefull of is you can over tighten it and do the bearings no good at all but im sure reel_wizard will correct me on this

simon

strathy
Regular
Regular

Post by strathy »

Never tighten the spool tension Knobs right up on any of the Abu,s as you will Knacker them in. They are really there to set spool float only. The instruction book settings are for light lures, up to about 1 oz, which are more prone to causing birdsnests as they don,t drag the line out fast enough compared to the spools speed of rotation. All Abus were designed for casting light lures origonally, not big weights and the hand books have never been updated in 40 years.

For reels with just one adjuster behind the handle just tighten it till you can feel but not see side to side movement of the spool. If its a got tension caps on both sides of the reel then tighten up the one behind the handle first to finger tight, then tighten the other till you can just feel the spool rocking from side to side but not actually see it moving. You have to rely on your thumb and the mag brakes to control the cast.

Thom
Regular
Regular

Post by Thom »

I beg to differ - i dont like any sideways movement of the spool as it uses up extra energy which i'd rather was going into the cast!

I tighten them just until any left/right movement has stopped, but only just. this means the spools is sitting on the bearings properly and is making contact with them.

edwards73
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by edwards73 »

myself does just as thom says and tighten up till the movement just stops so its runnig perfect on the bearings as to loose and its a mare and to tight it just dont go no where as ill never have me spool so it rattles in the cage even if it's just slighly.

simon

Captain_Mainwaring

Post by Captain_Mainwaring »

Strathy's got it right - that's excatly how I was taught to set up my abu's by a casting instructor and it works for me. Tighten those knobs right up and you'll enter a world of pain and money for replacement parts.

AS Strathy says the instruction booklet on setting the reel up wasnt meant for using the reel as a beachcaster- you could take the leader line off and tape down the main line on the spool - then press the free spool button and give the spool a spin- it should spin freely without too much noise for about 8 seconds with the magnets on full- with longer spin times as you take off the magnets

guyos

Post by guyos »

Thanks Guys for your response,

I will copy and file reel_wizard's instructions in my fishing folder, very important as I have two of the said reels (green) the other one seems properly set up when I got it.

Multipliers seem to be a steep learning curve but I will eventually get to understand them. I thought that the reel was birdnest proof and that I could cast the reel without feathering, and only use my thumb when the lead hits the water.

This reel has 4 magnets, and I have replaced the two tiny light brown bits that were missing which I assume are the centrifugal brakes on the other end of the reel.

Back to my casting practice.
Guyos