Reel seats?

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

Reel seats?

Post by celticcatch »

I picking up a new shimano catana rough ground rod next week. I'll be strapping a 525 slidy mag onto it but...I'm not exactly fussed on the adjustable screw fitment reel seat they come with, though the rest of the rod looks very capable.

I'll be looking to bully some decent straps and rays.... but I fancy using coasters. I've read before that coasters should go in the bin and fix/araldite a proper reel seat in place of it.

What's your opinions? Coasters will be ok or should I use the adjustable screw fitment seat to where it feels comfortable and then glue it in place?(which I don't really want to do if I'm honest)

Thanks

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Post by essexkenny »

I wouldnt bother with coasters at all. They really are pants.
Your best bet would be an Abu Griplock or fuji real seat. If you hooked into a decent sized ray or conger, i wouldnt fancy the chances of coasters holding the reel securely at all.

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

coasters ar elike marmite "you either love em or hate em",i have found the fuji reel seats a blessing,just tape them on or insert them into your winch wind seat.

all the best

Andy

Snagger

reel seets

Post by Snagger »

i hate coasters with a vengeance, am not too keen on screw fittings either, i have whipped on Fuji sliders to my rods they are quite cheap, easy and quick to use and have never let me down in over 20yrs of use, Tim. :>

edwards73
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by edwards73 »

i myself use coasters and have never had a problem with them so im with reel_wizard on this 1. other friends have used other reel seats like the adjustable 1's and how much fun they had tryin to undo them when my stuff was all packed away. coasters are user friendly not as good for fixed spools as the reel seat on them is a lot bigger but for multi's you cant beat them iv never had my reel move when power casting or even when reeling in.

so its coasters all the way
simon

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

Post by celticcatch »

I've only just made the transition over to multi. I've been using a bass rod and a 6500ct with coasters and i've had no problems with it so far. If I had a proper reel seat on it i'd rip it off...coasters weight about as much as a fart compared to the traditonal screw fitments.

I was just wondering if there'd be problems using them on a rough ground rod. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Coasters it shall be :)

Snagger

reel seats

Post by Snagger »

never said coasters are a problem to hold down a reel, said I hate them, personally.
I build my own I use Daiwa Supercast Beach Casters, have re rung them both and fitted fitted Fuji Sliders as they are my first choice every time.
don't know why you would want to alter your reel position unless you are changing your casting style or are unfamiliar with the rod you are using, anyway each to there own,
Tim. B-)

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

Post by celticcatch »

I'm using the bass rod with the reel up and i'll be using the rough ground with the reel down probably...i'll see how the balance feels. Won't be forever moving it up and down.

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

Post by baitdigger »

If you want to alter reel positions frequently coasters are the only way forward until you decide the best position, then if you want you can fit a perminant reel seat.
I personally use both methods, my bass rods had factory fitted seats, My main beachcasters I changed from coasters to Penn adjustable reel seats, they are not the best seats Ive come across but they hold the reel well and are quick and easy to set up.
I use an old Conoflex for Conger fishing which probably involves more stresses and strains than most other forms of shore fishing, my reel for that is permenantly fixed to the rod with coasters, its rock solid and never moves.

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Post by essexkenny »

Oh well as regards to the caster not being very secure issue.......... I stand corrected, i just couldnt get on with them at all and didnt think they felt very secure, so personally i prefer the reel seats.
Each to their own i guess :D

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

I only use Abu Griplocks - purely because they work.

I've used coasters in the past, but I found they are a faff to align the reel with the rod rings and the screw-down clamps break off (Uk Hooks and Daiwa - shame on you).

Never had a problem with comfy coasters (Breakaway) but I prefer Griplocks.

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

Post by celticcatch »

I've been out and had a few throws now and decided it's best I keep the "Slide and grip" (adjustable screw top and bottom) seat.

Going against what I said I know, but after using it with the reel down I've decided it's more comfortable. Think the coasters would get in the way and I wouldn't be able to grip the spool properly. Combination of a pretty much fully loaded 525 and small hands (glad I didn't get a 'Slosh'). On the other hand though..the bass rod and smaller 6500 is nice to use with the coasters.
B-)