Albacore reels

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Albacore reels

Post by rabbi2 »

Just wondering if these reels are still in production as I have 3 of them ranging from 80lb single speed, 50lb single speed and 30lb 2 speed, all as new.
Cheers keith :D :D

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat »

These reels never acheived the following that other manufacturers did with their own big game reels. I understand the manufacturing has now been taken over by Alutecnos. If they improve on the products construction they may continue in production, but don't count on it. The brand has never quite made it, in what is, an elitist market.

mac47
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mac47 »

Got to agree with tomcat that albacores never had the cred that Penn Internationals gained. I think that this was partly due to being made by Shakespeare- they were at the time I had my 50 - and at that time Shakespeare did not have a reputation for quality. Which, I think was a bit of a shame as Shakespeare did make some great pieces of kit.
Both my Albacore and my Fulmar ld50 hauled up plenty of conger and double figure cod (I'm going back a few years here) and I never had a problem with them. In fact if I was going to need a reel that size again I wouldn't have a problem buying either reel although I think I would buy a 30 2speed albacore rather than the 50 due to the 50 being a hefty reel and heavy to hold all day.
Now if only there was somewhere in Scotland that still had biggish cod to catch off the boat Xmas would be taken care of :D