Loading Line?????

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Loading Line?????

Post by essexkenny »

So many references to loading the line onto a multiplier, say about loading the first 4-5 layers on "cotton reel fashion", but this goes over my head so to speak.
What is actually meant by this, does it mean to load the line on as flat as possible?????
Any opinions would be a great help :)

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

You have itn in one mate, if you was to let the line bunch up so to speak, eventually the coil would tend to collapse so to speak trapping other layers which is a sure way to get a birdy.
Cheers
keith :D :D

mac47
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mac47 »

You need to wind the line on as level as possible and aim to get it similar to a new bobbin of thread. As Keith said failure to do this will result in a birdie. It's also important to keep a strain on the line as you spool it on the reel.
When putting new line on a reel I put the spool of line in a sinkful of water and then wind it on. This prevents the spool jumping all over the place and helps to keep a steady strain as you fill the reel. With a multiplier just use your thumb and first finger to guide the line on the reel keeping the line taut. With a fixed spool just ensure you kepp a good tension on the line as you wind it on. Load both type of reels to within 2-3mm of the spool rim and this will help with distance. It is also a good idea if you have new line on the reel to have a couple of casts with just a weight on as it helps to bed the line in. Especially if the line you are using is the cheaper stiffer type.
Having done all that I still cannot guarantee no birdies but it will help.
Mac

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Post by essexkenny »

Yeah i knew to keep the line flat to avoid fluctuations in spool speed and have suffered a few nests in the problem due to that, I just wondered what they meant in magazines when they said about feeding the first few layers of line on cotton reel style, as some mention this.
Confirmed my suspicions though, just wondered if I had missed something along the way

Cheers chaps :D

mac47
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mac47 »

Hi Kenny,
I think I know what you are talking about.
Many years ago I read an article by Neil Mckellow advising that you wound the first 30-40 yds of line on unevenly to balance the spool, especially with 6500 sizes reels. Neil was the world casting champion so I am sure he knew what he was talking about. If you have to cast long distances to reach the fish balancing the spool may be advisable. Up here where most of the fishing is into kelpy gullies I dont bother as distance is not important.
Mac