Multiplier reels ????

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
Lookin4Fish

Multiplier reels ????

Post by Lookin4Fish »

i'm thinking of upgrading my beach gear and have thought about a multiplier reel, only problem is i've never used one.

i'ce read a fair bit on them. the bird nesting, holding your thumb on them etc, but i wondered if anyone could help ?

are you able to get a multiplier that you do not need to put your thumb on etc, and just cast like you would a fixed spool without worry of it bird nesting ?

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

The short answer is no, that is unless you are prepared to put the brakes on tight.

The way to avoid a birds nest is to have the weight on and release the spool so that the weight drops to the ground without the line continuing to run off the spool.

On of the mistakes that newcommers to multipliers make is thinking that they must slow the reel down with their thumb. This is not so as you will end iup with a nasty burn.

What you must do is watch for the weight hitting the water and then stopping the reel dead with your thumb.

Dont try to hit the horizon for the first day, get used to the reel then you will find that you will be able to slacken off the brakes to your liking.

Cheers
keith :D :D

bucko
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bucko »

Please dont tighten your end caps until the lead slowly drops when the spool is released. The abu range of small multipliers are designed for bait casting with small leads of no more than 1 ounce and were adopted for beach casting because they are excellent reels. However tightening the end caps when using 4oz or more will result in too much tension being placed on the spindle this will then cause excessive wear on the inside of the end caps or the spindle to warp and will also have an adverse effect on the smoothness of each cast. For beach casting the reel should be set for the end caps to position the spool in a central location within the frame and at the same time allow just the very slightest side to side play of the spool when it has no line on it. This means that yes you do need to put your thumb on the spool to stop it, but this will very soon become second nature and you'll do it without even thinking about it. The set up for any multi used with beach casting leads should be the same as described above regardless of make. A lot is made of birdsnests, but they are not as bad as many make them out to be, and certainly not as bad as wind knots that can occur with fixed spool reels. Once your used to a multi they are very easy to use and very well suited to baech casting, people should certainly stick with what works for them but there is also no harm in learning new techniques.
Good luck with the fishing. :D
Carl.

Lookin4Fish

Post by Lookin4Fish »

Thanks for your replies, I will probably just get a cheap combo set from ebay or something to have a play with.

What is better/easier to use a low profile baitcaster or a standard multipier - I presume there is a difference or is it all just looks ?

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

I have to ask why you want to get one. As I do a lot of night fishing I stick to decent fixed spools which I can cast at least 100 yds when I want to plus most multi's are slow on the retrieve compared with FS, so why bother?

strathy
Regular
Regular

Post by strathy »

It all depends on the shore you are going to fish and wether you intend on holding your rod for long periods.
All multi,s with brakes are generally classed as baitcasters wether they are round or low profile.
It,s generally reckoned to be best to avoid any with a capacity of less than 175m of .30 (10lb) except for heavy spinning and light (2-3oz lead) bait fishing at up to 80yds range.
For general beachcasting over clean to mixed ground the Abu revo Toro,s and the biggest Shimano Curado are the only low profile reels worth using.
You would probably be better getting an Abu 6000, Penn 525 mag , or Daiwa millionaire mag for general beach casting as they are cheaper than the equivalent low profile reel.
for rough rocky ground You need to be looking at an Abu 7000, Penn 535, or Daiwa SLOSH.
Where are you based/ do you intend fishing , then we can give you a better idea of the reel you will need.
Last edited by strathy on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lookin4Fish

Post by Lookin4Fish »

I've always used a fixed spool reel and just want to try something new and learn a new technique for fishing, I always presumed a multiplier was able to cast further ?

Thinking of getting a Abu Garcia blackmax to have a play with, anyone know if these are any good for beach casting ?

strathy
Regular
Regular

Post by strathy »

The Abu Max range of multi,s are only really for medium to heavy spinning/ lure work.
I have the silvermax rod and reel combo which I bought for rock roving with jellyworms , shads, and wedges.
They are a birdsnest special with anything under half oz (14g) and almost impossible to cast into the wind with anything less than 2oz (56g).
That said its a nice fun combo to use and I can,t wait to get my first fish on it.
I wouldn,t want to cast anything over 2oz with it as it would overwhelm the brakes.
Have a look at them on harrissportsmail, they have some reviews of the silvermax combo.

Lookin4Fish

Post by Lookin4Fish »

Well I've brought an ABU 6500C3 CS to try out, and I can always adapt it to a CT version at a later date.

Just need to get to the beach and start practicing now !

strathy
Regular
Regular

Post by strathy »

good luck with the 6500, you,d have had to pay at least twice as much for a revo or curado for beach fishing.
I use a toro 61 loaded with 30lb fireline radial braid for beachwork, and its a lovely friendly bit of kit even at night and they have stronger gears than the round 4000, 5000 and 6000 size abu,s.
Don,t follow the abu instructions for setting the reel up for casting as they are for casting light lures only , if you do you will damage the spool spindle or the end plates.
Set the side plate adjusters so that you can just feel, but not see the spool moving from side to side, then set the brakes on max and go and play, oh and don,t forget , train your thumb well.
Good luck and happy casting.

buggaluggs
Occasional
Occasional

Post by buggaluggs »

Sorry mate if you want it for long range casting, the CS is a waste of time as you cant wrap your thumb round the spool to stop it slipping and the level line will knock upto 40yrds of your cast it a CT type or nothing sorry. Oh and use a mag reel. dont put any of the brakeblocks on not needed just control it on the magnets hope this helps. yes a multi will cast farther than a F/s reel. Thats why the tourny boys use um

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Post by essexkenny »

After using your new reel a few times during the day, u'll notice that you can hear the spool slow dramatically when the weight hits the water, which is when you stop the spool and then let out line slowly using your thumb to let out line slowly until the weight hits the bottom.
As for casting at night, you dont need to see the weight hit the water, as all i do is listen for the spool to slow down and then straight away stop it with my thumb.
It works for me, and may work for you too after a little while of getting used to it.
All the best :D

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

7HT Mag is probably the most user friendly multiplier on the market at the moment. They are extremely controllable and very easy to use. With the mags on full, I found it near impossible to blow the reel up.