Firefly Silhouette 3.9m Beachcaster

Discussion of sea fishing rods, boat, beach, surf casting and spinning rods.
eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Firefly Silhouette 3.9m Beachcaster

Post by eccles »

tensenervoushaddock
Regular
Regular

Post by tensenervoushaddock »

The rods are good value for money, I've got a couple of the beachcasters which are fine, and a pair of the bass rods. The bass rods were a bit of a disappointment as the distance to the real seat was too short. I've modified them by adding an extension and they are now cracking good rods.
Don't put the rods back in the posh tubes wet, the rings will rust in minutes, in fact they will if you even whisper 'seawater' to them.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

I have moved it for you, but left shadow on here. keith

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

tensenervoushaddock wrote:The rods are good value for money, I've got a couple of the beachcasters which are fine, and a pair of the bass rods. The bass rods were a bit of a disappointment as the distance to the real seat was too short. I've modified them by adding an extension and they are now cracking good rods.
Don't put the rods back in the posh tubes wet, the rings will rust in minutes, in fact they will if you even whisper 'seawater' to them.
Apparently they changed the material they make the rings of a few months ago to a better alloy. I have seen no sign of rust.

kieran
Regular
Regular

Post by kieran »

there is about 3-4 rods in the range isnt there!

they tested them in sea angler last year!

meant to be a great rod for the money anyway!

fried

Post by fried »

where did you find that, Ebay?

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Sent you a PM fried.

shannock
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by shannock »

just had a look on ebay at them

they look a descent rod for the price

as i might be treating my self to a pair for my birthday in oct

cheers steve

zziply

Post by zziply »

also look at the Ron Thompson Axellerator - and casting 8oz is not easy. I'm always dubious about the manufacturer claims on casting weights but I stand to be corrected.

Also the Shitspeare Salt travel will do similar - and its a travel rod.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Have not tried to cast 8 ozs with the Firefly but it seems strong enough. I often use 5 ozs and it copes with that beautifully.

fairdooz

Post by fairdooz »

i recently bought both the 390 bass rods from firefly, theyre great for the their price however, the butt of the rod is very close to the reel and bite indiction isn't surperb. none the less, good quality rod.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

fairdooz wrote:i recently bought both the 390 bass rods and bite indiction isn't surperb.
A lot of the bass I catch give rods quite a banging, which is normal for bass, what size bass do you want to "detect" mate?

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

[quote="zziply"]also look at the Ron Thompson Axellerator - and casting 8oz is not easy. I'm always dubious about the manufacturer claims on casting weights but I stand to be corrected..[/quote]

I think that when some makers say 8oz they mean it , not 8oz + two squid half a mackerel and some ironmongery. I must get a set of scales out and weigh a baited rig next time i`m fishing , just to pass the time between bites.

fairdooz

Post by fairdooz »

A lot of the bass I catch give rods quite a banging, which is normal for bass, what size bass do you want to "detect" mate?[/quote]

well thats the thing, just because it says bass rod...doesnt, mean its just for bass. buying a rod just for catching one species of fish seems bit of a waste dont you think? so yeh, a bass can give the rod a good knock, but other than that, its pretty limited....you couldnt use it for much else.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

fairdooz wrote:A lot of the bass I catch give rods quite a banging, which is normal for bass, what size bass do you want to "detect" mate?
well thats the thing, just because it says bass rod...doesnt, mean its just for bass. buying a rod just for catching one species of fish seems bit of a waste dont you think? so yeh, a bass can give the rod a good knock, but other than that, its pretty limited....you couldnt use it for much else.[/quote]

Well I can't speak for the bass rod because my original post was about the 3.9 beachcaster which has easily "detected" some pretty small bites such as weevers (3 inches) and "micro-bream" (around 3 ozs). Personally I think the whole "bass rod" scenario is a bit disingenuous - a gimmick dreamed up by the tackle trade because every beginner wants to catch a bass as some sort of mark of passage. Having caught several hundred bass in the last ten years or so, I think I can honestly say that it is no big deal - there are far more challenging species out there IMO which are hardly ever mentioned in sea dangler and the like.