Rod information

Discussion of sea fishing rods, boat, beach, surf casting and spinning rods.
Reels_on_wheels

Rod information

Post by Reels_on_wheels »

Hi guys
My brother in law has just given me a couple of rods that he was given and I am looking to see if anyone can give me any information on them. I am assuming they are both old as searches on the internet have proved useless.
The first one is a Shakespeare Surf Cast 1337-390 (length: 3.90m, 3sec, Action: B150/200) this is exactly what it says on the rod. Some of the eyes are a little rusty and one requires replacement. Can this be done? Has anyone ever used this type of rod? Is it best to junk it or hold onto it?
The second one is a Kassnar SP-902LL 9 feet x 2 spinning rod Carbon Composite. This rod is in perfect condition, in fact it does not even look as though it has been used. It is nice and light but the last thing I want to do is start using any of these rods to find out that they are going to snap on me.

Any information on these rods would be appreciated.

Many thanks, and a happy New Year to everyone
Reels

crazy-dude
Regular
Regular

Post by crazy-dude »

Can't give too much info on the rods but yes the eye can be replaced. I usually get my local tackle shop to replace eyes as they have all the kit needed to replace them.
The codes that you have given for the first rod look like they refer to 150gram -200gram casting weight.
the spinning rod will be ok as long as you don't go too silly with the weight of lureyou are using
hope this helps.

happy new year

thebigbassman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by thebigbassman »

hi reels i've looked through all the shakespeare back catalogue and the full list of antique rods they have on their website are you sure there is no other words on the rod if so go on www.shakespeare.com not the co.uk site and have a look at the list of all the rods they have done mate if you have not already done so sorry i could not help anymore than this

ANDYT63

Post by ANDYT63 »

thebigbassman wrote:hi reels i've looked through all the shakespeare back catalogue and the full list of antique rods they have on their website are you sure there is no other words on the rod if so go on www.shakespeare.com not the co.uk site and have a look at the list of all the rods they have done mate if you have not already done so sorry i could not help anymore than this
Good website - everything you needed to know about William Shakespeare

Bread

Post by Bread »

ANDYT63 wrote:
thebigbassman wrote:hi reels i've looked through all the shakespeare back catalogue and the full list of antique rods they have on their website are you sure there is no other words on the rod if so go on www.shakespeare.com not the co.uk site and have a look at the list of all the rods they have done mate if you have not already done so sorry i could not help anymore than this
Good website - everything you needed to know about William Shakespeare
What's here? the portrait of a blinking idiot ?

(Merchant of Venice)

Oh hail the immortal bard .... He is alive in the virtual parchments of the InterWeb.....

thebigbassman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by thebigbassman »

ok lads my mistake its www.shakespeare-fishing.com/ X( >:) :D

Reels_on_wheels

Thanks, thebigbassman, I will have another look at the rod and see if I can identify it on the website.
Thanks for all the input
Reels

Reels_on_wheels

Hi guys
I approached my local tackle shop about getting a new eye on the Shakespeare rod mentioned in the original posting but they only have very small eyes and unfortunately the guy who owns the shop has been off ill and numerous other people have been helping out.
Does anyone know where I can get spare eyes from the internet?
How do I know which size I need? I do have the outer ring from the broken one.
Does the new eye need to be put on with thread? This might seem silly but there are loads of different adhesives out there that might be able to do the job.
Right now the frame for eye is covered by a black band with gold over it. Obviously I need to take this off to get to what is underneath but is there something you get to go back over it.

I feel slightly lost doing this so I thought I might as well ask the question.
Thanks
Reels

crazy-dude
Regular
Regular

Post by crazy-dude »

Hi reels
Try ringing Tel. No: 01527 510570
This is the number for shakespeare in redditch
They should be able to sort you out with an ring for the rod plus they should be able to identify it for you.
with regards doing the repair yourself.
When you cut through the resin/varnish around the ring you will find the cotton holding the eye in place.
This will need to be replaced as this is what holds the ring in place whilst the resin/varnish is setting.
You could just use an adhesive but without the cotton whipping the ring might not be strong enough to cope with the forces involved with the rod bending.
Hope this helps.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

When refurbishing a rod I always try to use original materials this includes rings and whipping. I have rods going back 20 to 30 yrs in original condition. The cost shouldn't be much more than putting rings on that don't match. Hope this helps.

Reels_on_wheels

Hi guys
I sent an email to Shakespeare who said it was a very old rod and that they do not manufacture rods, they get them in from somewhere else so they were not able to offer a replacement eye. They did however say that I should contact a tackle shop or get a replacement eye and have it put on.
I am now wondering if it would be cost effective. I did try casting with it yesterday with a 4oz lead and then a 5oz lead to see how it would be and it seemed to be fine but new rods are reasonably cheap and I am now wondering if it would be worth repairing this rod or just put the money towards another outfit.
Any information appreciated
Cheers
Reels

crazy-dude
Regular
Regular

Post by crazy-dude »

In my experience a rod is never the same after a repair as the replacement eye will never be as good as the original finished product.
If the rod is worth a lot of money then do the repair.
If not then put the money towards a rod that you find to be best suited to your style of fishing.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Its a shame I am sill not able to put photo's on this forum otherwise I could display some of the rods I have refurbished. Anyone can re-ring a rod, Just takes time and patience.

crazy-dude
Regular
Regular

Post by crazy-dude »

Whats the problem Rabbi?
Or have you not gone digital yet?
B-)

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

still cant do it.