Telescopic rods - are they any good?

Discussion of sea fishing rods, boat, beach, surf casting and spinning rods.
loadofpollacks

Telescopic rods - are they any good?

Post by loadofpollacks » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:15 pm

I'm a newbie (actually an oldie returning to fishing after a lifetime break) and need rod advice.

I need to travel for sea fishing, so I have a choice between a travel rod (ie. multiple short sections) and a telescopic rod. I've posted this question on another sea fishing forum without getting much response - I'm hoping folk on this site have more to say :) My fishing will be float or spinning/lure from pier, jetty or rocks. I reckon I need a cast weight of around 40g.

The main issue is I need to be able to get the rod into a suitcase of 60cm length. A telescopic rod is the most convenient and probably what I'd go for if they're any good, but I get the feeling that folk treat them as a bit of a joke. Travel rods seem more like real rods, but tend to be more expensive and more bulky.

Given that my fishing will be infrequent I can't justify spending too much, but enough to avoid ending up with a load of junk.

Advice?

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:07 pm

I believe there are some better ones now but expensive. Certainly the first one I tried a few years ago fell to pieces the first time I gave it a serious belt and I am no muscle man. If you think about it, the individual sections need to fit solidly together with no signs of any movement if the rod is to be reliable in which case why not go for the travel rod option?

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:56 pm

Dont know if Veals still do them but the Mike Ladle 4surespin fits your requirements perfectly depending on what you were looking at spending.