need advice on a longer new rod

Discussion of sea fishing rods, boat, beach, surf casting and spinning rods.
Phillb
Occasional
Occasional

need advice on a longer new rod

Post by Phillb »

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Interesting and depends to some extent what you need to achieve and what reels you are using. In my own case I can't be bothered with multi reels and to some extent that is because I do a lot of night fishing and don't want to waste time with birds nests, i.e. I use egg beaters with large diameter spools because they cast well enough for me with a simple half pendulum technique. Anyway, I think the 12ft Salt is not a bad rod for the money and have one myself which gets used occasionally. However, I decided a while back that I wanted something with a tad more grunt without breaking the bank and came across the 14 ft Abu Garcia Hellbender; I now have a pair and am quite pleased with them. You might also look at a Daiwa Supercast which a mate uses and is quite impressive, don't bother with the Sandstorm though unless you are happy with a floppy tip. I have also heard some good reports about the new Anyfish Anywhere Six and Bait but not tried one. If you are already used to a 12ft rod, I would not go any longer than 14 ft because those really long rods can be difficult to handle in tight situations and do not really add anything to your casting distance if you have a good technique.

Phillb
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Phillb »

Thanks for your pearls of wisdom, i'm hoping to pop into veals over the weekend to have a look. i'll certainly check out your recomendations. I'm currently using two diawa opus 5500 reals which i'm happy with. there is probably no reason to up grade these.

thanks

phil

Phillb
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Phillb »

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Just bought another one meself for spare, can't go wrong with that price.

Phillb
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Phillb »

I've ordered one as well mate. your right you can't go wrong at that price, I've seen second hand one go for more.

thanks
phil

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Just a quick note as regards the Supercast, the Paul Kerry MK1 was far superior than the present day one.
Cheers
keith :D :D

Phillb
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Phillb »

hi rabbi2,
nice to see you around mate. how did the house move go.

phil

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »