Choosing a surfcaster

Discussion of sea fishing rods, boat, beach, surf casting and spinning rods.
G0KOK

Choosing a surfcaster

Post by G0KOK » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:33 am

Ok here we go, new here to the forum, after about twenty years of not fishing on a regular basis, and now retired, like all else I find technology in sea fishing tackle has move on, I have a new a new ABU 6500 C3 CT mag multiplier and 13 foot carbon beachcaster, I gave it a go off the beach at Hythe Folkestone, impressed, although even with all the controls engaged I still have to keep the thumb at the ready for spool overrun. ( 3 dabs 1 very nice plaice) (king rag).

Ok thats a brief history, now here's the question, for a surf set-up I have settled on a Penn Infinity fixed spool, I liked the look of the Shimano aero but could not justify the cost, however , the rod choice is taxing the brain a bit, I have trawled the net and forums looking for advise and experiences, so, the shortlist I have for a surfcaster is, a Daiwa 16 foot Grandwave or a Daiwa 16 foot Theory, I would like to hear from anyone who has used either or has a friend who owns one or other in order to make my choice, that said, I am not so stuck in a mindset that I would not listen to any other advise on 14/16 foot surfcasters.

Thank you.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:18 am

Welcome to the forums. Must admit my experience comes from multipliers and the respective rods. Im sure someone will come along and help you out with your dilemma ;)

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:22 pm

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:37 pm

The Diawa Supercast MK1 (Paul Kerry) was the best rod I have ever used, the Mk11 although a good rod in my opinion doesn't come anywhere near the MK1.
Cheers
keith :D :D

strathy
Regular
Regular

Post by strathy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:36 pm

If you,re looking for a long FS surf rod thats easy cast but good backbone and bite detection look at the Italian Alcedo range of rods.
They,ll blow the Daiwa long rods away.
Ultra high quality carbon but ridiculously low weight.
If I was ever to go back to FS reels I would have these on my to buy list alongside the Penn Affinity Twin Tips.
You,ll find them at Gerrysfishing at Morcombe.
Ask for Chris as these are a speciality of his.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:54 pm

Hmm, far too pricey for my liking, but then I am already fixed up.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:41 am

If you already have a 13ft beachcaster, why do you want a new one? Incidentally, no reason why you can't fish a fixed-spool on a multiplier rung rod, though coasters may make it awkward.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:00 am

Ah well, I expect his existing rod is rung for a multi and now he wants one rung for FS reel. That's how I read it anyway.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:16 am

A really good cheap alternative would be the Mitchell Challenge Pro Surf 363.
The recommended casting weight is 50 to 150 grams.
the downside or upside depending on your point of view is that it is a 3 piece rod.
The bite indication is superb and whilsts it ideal for the small stuff, it will easily cope with large cod.
Cheers
keith :D :D