Telescopic Fishing Rods

Discussion of sea fishing rods, boat, beach, surf casting and spinning rods.
wotnofish
Regular
Regular

Telescopic Fishing Rods

Post by wotnofish »

Has anyone any views on these?

Invest or avoid?

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

A few years ago, they were largely crap - I actually had one around six years ago but it didn't last long, as soon as I put some welly into it to try and cast a reasonable distance, the top section cracked right off. However, some folk are saying that if they are made by a reputable outfit, they are a lot better these days - particularly if they are made of carbon fibre. I think I will still leave it out but if you get one and it works out, I am sure we will all be very interested. The real test has got to be a 100 yd + cast with a 5oz weight; if it can stand up to that treatment repeatedly then we are in business.

wotnofish
Regular
Regular

Post by wotnofish »

Thanks Eccles.

I'm not sure I'm the best person to run the test. I'm new to this and 100 yards is only just about within my reach at present, on a good day! :?

I think I might abandon the telescopic idea and go for something more orthodox - a 12ft all round shore rod with fixed spool reeel. Maybe new or perhaps something second hand from ebay.

Any suggestions on models would be more than welcome.

Cheers

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

In my opinion a 12 or 13 ft rod is ideal to start with and I personally would choose a 3 piece job - mainly because they are much easier to transport (which I guess is why you were thinking of a telescopic). If you don't mind spending a bit of money, the ideal rod would be the Ron Thompson carbostick at around £80. It is very tough, has a ggod action and my mate swears by them - he is a big guy and puts a lot of welly into a cast. I do not have one myself but wish I had. If you don't want to spend that kind of money, there are a few 3 piece carbon composite rods available on ebay for upwards of £17 - Monton Bait and Tackle do one but don't know what it's like - probably OK as they are an established ebay business. Also Tackle Bargains do one called a chieftain (they have their own website). When it comes to a half decent FS reel, there is a bloke on ebay called D Riggs who gets a batch of Okuma Pro 365's occasionally and sells them for the unbelievable price of £17 + pp. Sean and I have one each, they are well made and smooth for the price, think I will get meself another. Make sure you get the "Pro" version as Okuma do some other budget reels which are not quite so good.

wotnofish
Regular
Regular

Post by wotnofish »

Thanks Eccles. That's very useful.

I'll certainly go for the Okuma reel - at £17 it's hard to go wrong.

Regarding rods I was also looking in the magazines at the Penn Power Sticks - what's your view on these?

wigs

Post by wigs »

a good cheap 3 piece rod and reel a leeda from argos £29.99 a good starter rod :) :)

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Sorry Wigs, can't agree, those combos are not quite up to it in my view - a couple of year's regular fishing would probably wear the reel out or a start.

wotnofish
Regular
Regular

Post by wotnofish »

I don't mind spending a bit more than £30 to give myself a fighting chance (in the vain hope that good equipment might compensate a little for hamfisted technique).

The Penn Powestick Surf rod may be a bit OTT as I see that it's about £100 but, as I've definitely got the bug, it's a medium term investment.

I'm likely to be fishing on rough ground so I think the rod needs to be a bit robust.

Any other ideas apart from the Ron Thompson?

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv »

For your money you might be better off looking for a 2nd hand rod like a Century G5 Supa which is good for rough ground fishing and has the backbone to pull through kelp beds- its not a telescopic rod if thats what you were after- though to be honest I'm not sure what telescopic rods woudl be suitable for rough ground fishing as I've never used them. Someone else on the site might know.

Theres some good deals on the daiwa sandstorm at the minute- which is suited to clean/mixed ground- I think the link on this site quotes a price of £84 rather than the going rate of £99.

wotnofish
Regular
Regular

Post by wotnofish »

I think I've given up on the telescopic idea. Common sense says that all those joints will weaken the rod - it was the portability I was after particularly when taking it abroad.

I'll follow up on the suggestion of buying a better rod second hand. Also the Ron Thompson carbostick suggested by Eccles (although I can't find a fixed spool version on the Net) and the Sandstorm, as the multiplier version got a good write up by John Holden in January'e Sea Angler.

Thanks a lot guys.

Limey1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Limey1 »

One point worth mentioning.....
It hides away easily in the car so you can carry it with you wherever you go........ Just in case you get the 'urge'... :wink:

Sweedishtaff

Post by Sweedishtaff »

Limey1 wrote:One point worth mentioning.....
It hides away easily in the car so you can carry it with you wherever you go........ Just in case you get the 'urge'... :wink:

So thats why you have 3 buckets in your boot!!!

All is coming clear now I hope Limey? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Limey1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Limey1 »

The buckets are for another reason mate.......

When you get to my age, you'll understand what I mean :wink:

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

Telescopics

Post by MadKev »

Can't think of any boat comp anglers without an expensive continental telescopic with multi-tips in their armoury, and I've taken to using mine in beach comps. It's rated higher but it's a pleasure to use on the beach at 4oz, fishing pendulum with bait will hit 100 yard. (It's about 14 foot long in French feet, 'J' curve, not 'C') That said, horses for courses - use 14lb braid on a 6500 reel with it, lob out your bait 60 yds, gently tease it back to shore, you'll feel every 'enquiry' and can stop for a few moments to see if it develops - great for flatties. Never seen one break casting, but plenty of tips go through not paying attention when unhooking. Pollack to 6lb haven't given any cause for concern for the rod. Mine's a Grauvell, retail started around the £200 mark but I guess now you'll find someone selling for £99 as it's been superceded by better / longer / dearer. Borrow one, you'll want one. MK