Rod Bell Tip Light??

Discussion of sea fishing rods, boat, beach, surf casting and spinning rods.
Esskie

Rod Bell Tip Light??

Post by Esskie »

Hi there,
First sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum?, the closest I thought was Terminal Tackle but a rod tip light/bell isn't at the end of your line?

Anyway, I'm currently using chemical nitelites at night so I can watch my rod tip but I'm keen to try the clip-on bell/light type so I don't have to watch the rod constantly

One thing that concerns me about these clip-on twin bell tip lights though is them flying off on casting? :-S
Has anyone any experience of them at all?, I just want to know if they get a good enough grip to endure casting or are better placed on after the cast (bit of a pain!)

One other thing that did cross my mind was the bells rattling constantly with the movement of the rod caused by the swell and/or waves?

I'd really appreciate any nfo about them so I know to stay with the chemical nitelites clear taped around the tip.....doesn't interfere with casting or the line getting tangled etc

Cheers, Andy

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 »

hi mate
i prefer the nitelights, budgie bells..yukkkkkkkkkkkkkk, try fishing a session on a pier next to somebody using one, no matter how mild mannered you are...by daybreak you want to throw them over the side :D :D :D

another alternative is using a strong l.e.d. light connected to a battery, shining on your rod tip

my mate edwards73 kindly made me one, they work brilliant

budgie bells are for budgies and should be kept in cages :D :D

Esskie

Post by Esskie »

aston74 wrote:hi mate
i prefer the nitelights, budgie bells..yukkkkkkkkkkkkkk, try fishing a session on a pier next to somebody using one, no matter how mild mannered you are...by daybreak you want to throw them over the side :D :D :D

another alternative is using a strong l.e.d. light connected to a battery, shining on your rod tip

my mate edwards73 kindly made me one, they work brilliant

budgie bells are for budgies and should be kept in cages :D :D
Nuff said mate!,
I found your comparison to budgie toys funny as hell :D , you're bloody right on though, that's the thing!. After you pointed it out I do recall seeing the same types of 'bell' in a budgie's cage lol.

So they do pretty much rattle away all the time?, the swell and the constant movement of the rod tip caused by it is bound to have it rattling away huh?
The rods have reflective tips which are well lit with light from my headlite and the chemical nitelites do the job in the dark as you know so I think I'll be sticking with them

I'm glad I asked before just being impulsive and finding out too late, not that they cost much, a few more nitelites though.
Much obliged for your helpful & funny reply anyway mate ;)
Take care out there & tight lines, Andy

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 »

hi again andy
try popping into your local pound shop
the ones in essex sell a cheapo headlight for 99p, very easy to rig up as a light to shine onto your rod tips at night

regards
aston

pter

Post by pter »

Just picture it at Torness Andy :)
British Nuclear police raiding our "camp" due to all these bloody bells going off :D You me and Weegie in the cells or worst Dunbars version of Gauntanama bay in our orange jump suits :(( time I left the vino bottle and went to bed :D

m0sgb
Occasional
Occasional

Post by m0sgb »

i have loads of fun with these lights, when im ready to cast out, i take the bell/light of the rod cast out and put it back on, or better still buy the light and clue it to the rod

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

There OK if you ain't fishing close to someone who hates them. They are a lot easier to see than the chemical lights being far brighter. Headlights are fine, I have one but who wants to walk around like a ruddy lighthouse all the time? I use bell/lights on a calm evening when wind and surf ain't rattling them constantly.
Basically what I'm trying to say is that they are great to have in your tackle box when conditions are suitable.
Cheers
keith :D :D

Esskie

Post by Esskie »

So possibly acceptable on still summer nights, which are getting more infrequent by the week

Think I'd find taking it off & clipping back on after every cast a bit nippy tbh?, I can see it now, just got the grip lead anchored and the rod set ready after casting on the tripod then I'd look up to see I'd forgot to put it on :D

the chemical (snap & shake) nitelites I'm currently using work great, it was the audible alert I was after?

I have some wee red lites that can be fixed to the rod tip, threaded onto your line or fixed on the float itself which are really bright!.....the red one you had on Thursday night Pter aye?, they are much brighter than the yellow/green coloured nitelites for sure.
I had a nitelite on my float while Pter had the red battery powered led light & you could see the reflection of it on the water never mind being brighter than my chemical job!

Don't like having the headlamp on all the time "like a lighthouse" :D , while baiting a trace or raking in the tackle box maybe but there's no need to have it on while using the nitelite on the rod thankfully.
Another thing about headlites, and any bright light I suppose, is them allegedly scaring fish away?, especially bass!

For the price of them it's not going to break the bank having one in the tackle box as you mentioned Keith, true dat!

Dunbars version of Gauntanama bay Pter? :-S , it doesn't sound very good at all mate!. I wonder how many anglers they have locked within the deepest vaults of that place!! lol, never to be seen again! :D :D

oggy_chomper

Post by oggy_chomper »

Bells have they're place, I use both Bells and Tip lights. I usualy Fish with two rods, both have Tip lights and bells. i mostly go fishing with at least two other people and when on the beach i can bait up both rods and cast them attach Bells and turn on the Tip lights and wander away for a chat, listening out for the bells whilst casting a watchfull eye on the lights from time to time. Saying this, the bells are a pain when a bit blowy...I always take the bell off when reeling in cos I too get annoyed with the constant ringing, always take the bell of when casting, after one cast no bell..
Conclusion. Bells have they're place,under the right conditions if only to prevent you from having to stare at the rod tip all night. , I always use Tip lights no matter what when using a tripod. But a lot of the time when bassing I like to hold the rod so as to feel the bite and reel in before the Bass can swallow the hook, so release is more likely.