carp rod

Discussion of sea fishing rods, boat, beach, surf casting and spinning rods.
geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

carp rod

Post by geordiesandman »

I've just purchased an inexpensive rod real combo, mainly for the reel as i've not got my good gear with me. part of this is a fladen 11' carp rod with a test curve of 2.5lb
firstly, what exactly does the 'tets curve' mean. does a lower poundagemake it easier to break??

secondly, how would it fair agains makerel and bass? what else. other than carp! would it be good for?

cheers

graham

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

Post by celticcatch »

http://www.sea-fishing.org/ftopict-25733.html

It should be fine for macky and bass

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

champion, thanks celtic

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

I believe test curve is the weight required to bend the tip of a rod to a position at 90 degrees to the butt, or more precisely a tangent at the tip of the rod will be 90 degrees to butt.

How this compares to the line classifications 12-20lb, etc, I'm not sure. Anyone know?

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

Post by celticcatch »

Iknowagoodplaice wrote:I believe test curve is the weight required to bend the tip of a rod to a position at 90 degrees to the butt
I mentioned this in the other topic. Sea rods don't have a line rating though do they..they are usually done in casting weight unless it's a boat rod, where then it's say 12-20lb or 20-30 etc etc etc.

To be honest...15lb line should be perfect. Even if the rod can't handle it..you've got a drag havent you? I wouldn't bother looking into 'what optimum line to use' ...better off looking into what ground you're fishing and what kind of abrasions/snags etc you may encounter