Stiff Rod (seriously!)

Discussion of sea fishing rods, boat, beach, surf casting and spinning rods.
sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

[quote="andy1_i"]i have the complete opposite problem X( ,my two sections have become very loose,and cant put too much power into my casting for fear of them coming apart? any solutions guys? or should i make this a separate topic?

GMac,all the above suggestions are all brilliant ones,you could try a quick rub with very fine wet n dry, only about two seconds though,or you end up with the problem i have lol.

in the winter i have been known to heat the joint above my tilly lamp as the joint has got moisture in it and as it freezes expands

all the best

Andy[/quote]
There is a spray for building up worn ferrules , i think it is marketed by Mayer who make roach poles. The other option is to cut 12mm off the female spigot, if the rod has spigot ferrules that is. :)
Insulation tape around the joint after putting the rod together works well with fly rods so will work with the beachcaster. Always handy stuff to have in the tackle bag.

GMac

Post by GMac »

Can't graphite spray be used to thicken ferrules or am i being plain stupid? :-S

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga »

Andy,have you tried the stuff for building up loose spigots on carbon rods,sorry cant help as to who does it though cheers, Mick :)

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

thanks guys/gals,(although i seemed to hijack this topic,very sorry) i have now cured my problem with ptfe tape just gave a good wrapping of the stuff on the male spigot/ferrule bit,and its a good as new.

all the best

Andy

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

Hi Andy, i don`t think ptfe tape is up to the job , ptfe is used in some lubricants and they use it in roach pole tips to cut down friction on the elastic.
It`s likely to let go just as you are giving it some wellie and you will end up with a 6ft float.

People could get hurt............rolling about on the beach laughing. :)

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Post by essexkenny »

I dont think you'll damage the rod pulling it appart as long as you pull/twist it in a straight line, incase you damage the female part of the joint.

I have had the same thing with the hellbender i bought a few months ago. The main joint in the rod is ok, bit stiff though, but the joint for the reducer was ridiculously stiff. I was wary of damaging the butt of the rod as the wall thickness without any whipping around it is really thin. All i done was gave it a light rubbing around the male part of the joint with some 1200 wet and dry sandpaper. Goes together much better now :D