Stiff Rod (seriously!)

Discussion of sea fishing rods, boat, beach, surf casting and spinning rods.
GMac

Stiff Rod (seriously!)

Post by GMac »

I know this sounds stupid but I' having problems disassembling my new rod(Abu Garcia Hellbender). It's bloody stiff putting the sections together and I fear I'm going to damage it when I try to pull the sections apart. Should I use a little lubricant? ~X(

kev37
Occasional
Occasional

Post by kev37 »

didnt do no harm when my rod got stuck give it ago

kev B-)

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

If its that siff and you get any sand in it at all it will be a hell of a lot more harder to dissemble.
Cheers
keith :D :D

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

Pencil graphite , a big carpenters pencil is quickest , rub it on the male ferrule and it will lubricate it without making it sticky.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

I've had this happen with other rods in the past when they are new (particularly in cold weather) so these days I don't shove the sections together too hard. They don't seem to come apart again but I do check after a few casts that they are still reasonably tight.

kurtwernerk

Post by kurtwernerk »

Use to get this in the olden days. A squirt of WD 40 before you start will help, but if it does get stuck, two people close to the offending ferrule and gently twist in opposite directions will separate the offending bits. Good luck.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

I would say WD40 is fine for getting stuck joints apart but it should be cleaned off after.

The idea of pencil graphite is a good one for future use.

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

dont force the two parts together, rarely will a newish rod be a snug fit as they are designed take a lifetime of wear into consideration...

if they do get stuck ( i find that the worst time is when its wet 'cos you cant grip the rod) keep a couple of pieces of old cycle inner tube in your tackle box.. wrap one piece round each side of the joint and twist (use a friend if you need to).....presto.!!

graham

ducker

stiff rods

Post by ducker »

hi gmac
i my self have had afew stiff rods and i always give the male end a light rub with sand paper it seems to do the trick +dont push the female onto hard hope this helps good luck

ducker

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

All good advice..............another / alternative remedy is lightly rub a candle around the male section of the 'spigot' or again lightly spray with 'Mr SHEEN ,WIPE OF the excess thoroughly!!!!!!!!!............JOLI

GMac

Post by GMac »

Thanks for the wise advise! I shall try each of the remedies in turn, or perhaps book sessions into the local gym, it might be my weedy arms :P

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

clean the joints thoroughly and leave to dry out in the house for a couple of days.

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

i have the complete opposite problem X( ,my two sections have become very loose,and cant put too much power into my casting for fear of them coming apart? any solutions guys? or should i make this a separate topic?

GMac,all the above suggestions are all brilliant ones,you could try a quick rub with very fine wet n dry, only about two seconds though,or you end up with the problem i have lol.

in the winter i have been known to heat the joint above my tilly lamp as the joint has got moisture in it and as it freezes expands

all the best

Andy

bassmanrob
Occasional
Occasional

Post by bassmanrob »

I thought this was going to be a thread about Tiger Woods!

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

it had to be said eventually bassman !!!

andy, maybe a small split pin or the like pushed through a hole drilled when the whole rod is together.

or simply ducktape the joints whe you assemble it ( a bit of a faff mind)

graham