Rod to pair with a 7HT mag

Discussion of sea fishing rods, boat, beach, surf casting and spinning rods.
jim79
Regular
Regular

Rod to pair with a 7HT mag

Post by jim79 »

im seriously thinking of biting the bullet and blowing some money on a 7HT mag , 90% of the time i fish clean ground so the reel is perfect for what i want , but what rod to pair it with , im thinking the lighter 3-6oz sonik SK3 but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

wont be for a while yet but it gives me a chance to look for a bargain :D

Captain_Mainwaring

Post by Captain_Mainwaring »

fishhunter
Regular
Regular

Post by fishhunter »

i would search around as many tackle shops as you can before buying of flea bay,
You never know you may well be surprised at what you can get brand new for the same price e.g MTI tripod on flea bay is more expensive than spottydogtackle.
If i were you i would try and get along to a tackle shop and ask if you can put it on a rod and see what you feel most comfortable with before buying anything.

jim79
Regular
Regular

Post by jim79 »

fishhunter wrote:i would search around as many tackle shops as you can before buying of flea bay,
always do , did some looking around the other day and found a shop knocking out the 7HT mags for a little over 150 quid :-O ( admitidly they are now out of stock but proves the point )

Captain_Mainwaring

jim79
Regular
Regular

Post by jim79 »

like i said im in no rush at the moment and i troll ebay atleast once a day to see whats about ( 2 brand new 7HT mags just sold for 240 quid :(( , why when i dont have the cash !!!!! )

Captain_Mainwaring

jim79 wrote:like i said im in no rush at the moment and i troll ebay atleast once a day to see whats about ( 2 brand new 7HT mags just sold for 240 quid :(( , why when i dont have the cash !!!!! )
Isn't that always the way...

bucko
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bucko »

Cant fault the 7HT Mags, had 3 for two years and no problems. :D
As for rods, find a rod that suits you Jim, we're all built differently with different casting styles and different fishing techniques. Just find one you can bend when you cast with good bite registration, you might be surprised at what suits you.

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Post by essexkenny »

I agree with Bucko, something which suits you.
But if you are fishing over cleanish ground, and are looking for a rod which will cast a good distance without risking splatting soft baits, and show small rattles, then an ABU Hellbender M isnt a bad rod at all

rickyfella09

Post by rickyfella09 »

i just brought one off the anyfish anywhere six & bait and it's the mutt's nutt's , i use it a 6500 mag elite they work great my little flicks over the side of walton pier where going further then people giving it loads off wellie with there fix spool so it would go well with 7ht mag. i paid 125 for but seen on internet for about 150. so i got a bargain