what beach rod for a 7 year old

Discussion of sea fishing rods, boat, beach, surf casting and spinning rods.
alex71

what beach rod for a 7 year old

Post by alex71 »

Hi all, my daughter is seven and bless her went fishing with me last summer and enjoyed it, so i went and bought her a nice little spinning rod its a jarvis walker one... very light and whippy spinning rod with only a small casting weight, 1oz-26 grams i think, so not going to be up to a bit of beach fishing, and casting the weights needed and she has begged me to come to the comp this sunday at portsmouth.(watch out lads :D )

so we went to allans marine today and a lady in there recommended one of their sale rods, trouble is its 10ft and thought it looks a little bit to burly and long for her to be able to cast.

shes a tall girl and pretty strong for her age. But still this thing towered over her and just looked wrong :-/

so have any of you guys n gals got any tips or advice in choosing her a rod.
size wise and style of rod.

cheers
alex

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

I would personally settle for a pier rod as with a full beachcaster he or she may tend to struggle. About 10ft should be OK and shakespeare do relatively cheap ones.
Cheers
keith :D :D

alex71

Post by alex71 »

cheers rabbi2, eah i was thinking something like a pier rod, i got a seven foot one and a 10 foot spinning rod that may foot the bill......... got me thinking now mmmmmm can dad pass one of his rods to Molly and buy a nice new fancy one to replace it :D :P

Yeah it was a beach caster she showed us and she said it would be ok, but looking at molly holding it i just though it looked a bit of a struggle and it didnt have 4-6 oz of lead swinging off it.

good thinking mate ;) [/code]

Thom
Regular
Regular

Post by Thom »

Hey mate. I wouldn't buy a beach rod at all.

Nor a sea rod.

They are generally designed to be heavy duty angling toolds designed for casting 50yards plus. i expect a 7 year old to be able to cast barely 30 to be honest!

A good heavy duty Pike/carp rod would be the best item in my opinion, theyre light, long (A young angler is better with a longer rod as it offers more control and distance) and will haul anything in from british beaches. 4ounces of lead is easily achievable on one of these and 6ounces wouldnt be a problem with a strong 3.25lb rod. however i wouldnt reccomend power casting anything like this yourself.

alex71

Post by alex71 »

Thom wrote:Hey mate. I wouldn't buy a beach rod at all.

Nor a sea rod.

They are generally designed to be heavy duty angling toolds designed for casting 50yards plus. i expect a 7 year old to be able to cast barely 30 to be honest! you aint kidding there, i never said that right! ;)

A good heavy duty Pike/carp rod would be the best item in my opinion, theyre light, long (A young angler is better with a longer rod as it offers more control and distance) and will haul anything in from british beaches. 4ounces of lead is easily achievable on one of these and 6ounces wouldnt be a problem with a strong 3.25lb rod.

nice one thanks for that, didnt even occur to me

however i wouldnt recommend power casting anything like this yourself.

you have obviously never seen me cast ;)

cheers

chrisandboys
Occasional
Occasional

Post by chrisandboys »

She could probably handle a bass or flattie rod without problem. Whilst pike/carp rods are ok for casting a few ounces (my boys used 3.25lb 12ft pike rod when they first went beach fishing at about the same age) they wobble too much, so little change of bite detection, and you will struggle if you get into a big clump of weed because they don't have the oomph.

I'm sure she'll have plenty of fun regardless....

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi, i got my grandson conner a 9ft 6ins uptider to start with, and although he has beachcasters now, he often still takes only the uptider. Cheers..Mick

alex71

Post by alex71 »

thanks all thats some good advice there !!!

think i will let her try my 7ft pier rod and the 10ft bass/spinning rod i have, they are good rods but not 'branded' ones which i bought last year when starting up again so i didnt waste money if i didn't get the bug again, sadly for my wallet im hooked better than any fish i ever caught :D

so think ill bring both on sunday at portsmouth for her, see which one she gets on with best,,,,,, do you reckon that would be ok on the day :-/ , obviously she would only use one rod at a time, or is that seen as 2 rods?? dont want to upset anyone or break any rules! she wouldnt be swapping constantly, try her on the 10ft first and if too much put her rig on the pier rod :)

now i dont feel so bad about going out in a mo and getting a nice greys rod and multi/baitcaster real for light spnning and rubber worms etc in the harbours >:) >:) . and if the Mrs asks, they were a tenner :P

again thanks for the replies !!

cheers
Alex

Clarissa
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Clarissa »

Thom
Regular
Regular

Post by Thom »

As an apposing point i used to use a 12ft beachcaster as a spod rod because spod rods were never sufficient for my reservoir breaming sessions!

alex71

Post by alex71 »

thanks guys

im gonna try her out like i say on the 10ft spinning rod and 7ft pier rod..... i hear what you say clarisa about casting, she can cast her 6ft spinning rod with an ounce lead which is very light and whippy but she struggles with timing the release of the line rather than handling the rod itself.

where do you teach kids clarisa, id be interested in a bit of that for her as she is keen as mustard to go fishing, we have a 6ft fish tank full of african cichlids and she loves fish and fishing, so i think when i find the right sized rod for her and she gets confident in casting she will be off.

will defo have a look at these spod rods though thanks for the input.

but sadly poor old daddy took this as an excuse to go look for a new rod for himself this morning...... ended up with a 7ft ugly stick and then of course i needed a new reel to go with it so i got an abu6500 c3 ct and some fox braid to put on it
:P >:) now im gagging for the warmer weather,to get some bass of the shores lol

thanks again for all your help