its a shakey question,but please help !!!

Discussion of sea fishing rods, boat, beach, surf casting and spinning rods.
mickallton

Post by mickallton »

well if they have send it this way mickallton@poor.com

wheresitgone

Post by wheresitgone »

mickallton, wasnt trying to offend with your comment just saying about a mate who made a hash of his rod sawing jublys off after a few outings, as for the cable ties, good advise ,handy also for windy days to hold your rest against railings etc etc never without them myself, nowdays they do have slides,, but the only one that had a good finger grip was the abu but they have stoped doing them so for those cold days its back to the old coasters for me.

mickallton

Post by mickallton »

wheresitgone no offence taken mate i understood your statement was just clarifiying i was explaining to the poster who did not know what coasters were so used like for like hence jubilee clips. Although my x father in law used to use them or cable ties when the old coasters fell apart.

wheresitgone

Post by wheresitgone »

if any one wants to use coasters while we are on this discussion,the only ones ive found to be up to the job are daiwa's or the cheap breakerway 1s are good as all plastic ,not alot to go wrong, but if sliding reel seets ive found best are the ab's , just my opion,others please add if it helps others to decide, ?????????????

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

The number of rods designed for coasters seems to be on the increase.
I was given to understand years gone by that they were designed for Tournament casters or at the very least expert casters who wanted to hit the 200yd mark.

As an average/poor caster I can't see any earthly reason to use them and have found them awkward to say the least.

No offence to those that do use them as others like myself fish with their own preferences

Cheers
keith :D :D

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Post by essexkenny »

Another option to look at would be a Penn "Talon". Its a one piece clamp which tightens around the rod to hold the reel in place.
Going to have a look for one myself, as the abu rod I have has the sliding reel seat. The thing with it is that it doesnt hold in place very well without tightening it up too much, which then causes it to be a complete pain to undo again.

wheresitgone

Post by wheresitgone »