Zipplex/Conoflex/Century

Discussion of sea fishing rods, boat, beach, surf casting and spinning rods.
rambo007

Zipplex/Conoflex/Century

Post by rambo007 »

Right guys i'm going to upgrade my rods. Currently use Diawa supercasts, but want to upgrade to one of the above and need some advice on the pros and cons of the above from people that already own them/use them.

I am not a massive caster (100 yds ish) and don't cast at comps so don't need a rod that can put a bait to calais!!

Just need some help from anybody who has experince handling the above rods.

Thanks in advance.

Rambo

turboman

Post by turboman »

Theyre all quality made expensive rods but each company produces so many different models that have different actions and purposes so to save yourself a load of grief and money you really need to try some before you commit to buying- dont rush out- take your time and try as many as you can.

It all depends on the type of ground you fish as well but based on what you've said about your casting Century and conoflex might be a better choice- Tip Tornado range by CEntury is a good start as is the standard Conoflex SLR

rambo007

Post by rambo007 »

Thanks for the reply turboman, I don't fish anywhere that could be described as 'rough' ground, some places are snaggy, even the rock marks i fish aren't to hardcore!!

I forgot to mention that i cast otg but would like to learn to pendulum. Those were the type of models i had in mind, like you say they are expensive but looked after will last me a long time i hope.

Thanks for the reply :D

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

have a look for the new Ian Golds rod range. meant to be as good if not better than the rods you mentioned but a nice few bob cheaper. not sure if their on sale yet.
ive read a few reviews from independent users(not mags that are paid to give good reviews) and havent heard a bad word said about them yet.

rambo007

Post by rambo007 »

redmouse wrote:have a look for the new Ian Golds rod range. meant to be as good if not better than the rods you mentioned but a nice few bob cheaper. not sure if their on sale yet.
ive read a few reviews from independent users(not mags that are paid to give good reviews) and havent heard a bad word said about them yet.
Yeah i went into a tackle shop locally and the owner reconmended them, and he stocks all the above rods so it was indeoendant advice.

Hmm, decisions decisions!!

Thanks for the reply mate. :D

bucko
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bucko »

Ask at your local tackle shop if they know someone who can give you casting lessons. The reason I say this is because as you get better at casting then a different rod would probably suit you more than one you would like now.
If your casting 100 yards, a soft rod will suit you, but if you were able to cast say 180 yards, then something stiffer would be better. Dont go straight in for a stiff rod because you wont compress it and it will feel uncomfortable when you cast.

mac47
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mac47 »

Hi Rambo,
The info you have already been given is excellant advice and I would only add that you should not forget the second hand market.
A good mate of mine recently bought a Conoflex Hghlander, for winter cod fishing, in mint condition for less than half its original price. Older versions of Century rods are also available at realistic prices but Zipplex rods seem to retain a premium price. If you can buy s/hand locally you will also have the chance to try before you buy.
If you do decide to buy new then Ian Golds rods will be good.
Having dealt with Ian Golds over the years I know that the products are quality and the after sales service is brilliant. I am angling for his new match rod as a xmas present.
Let us know how you get on.
Mac.

rambo007

Post by rambo007 »

Right well thanks again to all who replied, the responce was better than i anticipated with all giving really good advice. As i have never owned a 'higher' quality rod it has been invaluable thanks again!!

I have sought some casting lessons bucko and thank you for the advice :D ;) . Mac i will let you know how i get on, i think after fishing for 15 years its' time to move away from the diawas etc etc and onto something a little nicer. :D

Thanks again to all who contributed to this thread, you know where i am if i can help anyone in future, much appriciated. :D :D