Daiwa Longbeam beach caster 14ft!! What do you have?

Discussion of sea fishing rods, boat, beach, surf casting and spinning rods.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

bucko wrote:I have heard one report of a longbeam breaking, but that was 3 years ago and nothing since so probably a one off. Although not top of the range Daiwa do give value for money and these are soft rods so you will load them up easily when casting. :D

It was probably me - I snapped a 16 foot one quite easily. The only decent rods made by Daiwa for casting are the Supercasts in my opinion - the Longbeams are very expensive for what they are. The Ron Thompson Axellerator is miles better by all accounts and a lot cheaper.

turboman

Post by turboman »

Fozzy wrote:
bucko wrote:I have heard one report of a longbeam breaking, but that was 3 years ago and nothing since so probably a one off. Although not top of the range Daiwa do give value for money and these are soft rods so you will load them up easily when casting. :D

It was probably me - I snapped a 16 foot one quite easily. The only decent rods made by Daiwa for casting are the Supercasts in my opinion - the Longbeams are very expensive for what they are. The Ron Thompson Axellerator is miles better by all accounts and a lot cheaper.
Don't agree- TNXS AWB /AWT all good casting rods- the AWT in particular.

AXcellerator is a broomstick but good if you fish from the rocks in heavy kelp.
Last edited by turboman on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

turboman wrote:
Fozzy wrote:

Don't agree- TDNX AWB /AWT all good casting rods- the AWT in particular.

AXcellerator is a broomstick but good if you fish from the rocks in heavy kelp.

do you own any of the rods you mention ? I'd be interested in how the AWB peroforms - you can get them second hand sometimes because they are not made anymore.

turboman

Post by turboman »

Yes- I have the AWB & AWT- you said the only decent casting rod made by Daiwa is the Supercast- I dont agree with you

I wouldnt part with my AWB or AWT- not for a prince's ransome- both brilliant rods. The proof is in the pudding- you put up an ad on any fishing forum selling an AWT and see the enquiries come flooding in.

Do you own a Supercast? How does it compare to an AWT?

mac47
Occasional
Occasional

Re: Daiwa Longbeam beach caster 14ft!! What do you have?

Post by mac47 »

Seafishing wrote:as i have covered in the title this is my new rod which has literaly just come!!

Getting this rod it set me wondering what rod do you use? is it any good?
Good and bad points?

Will be testing her out friday gorleston beach i think!!
Hi,
I don't actually own this rod but had a loan of one and gave it a bit of stick on a couple of fishing trips.
First impression was it was quite light for a 14' rod but when I put a large fixed spool reel on it felt heavy and unbalanced. This being the case my first couple of casts were gentle over head thumps. The lead and three baits went a very long way. Feeling a bit more confident I started to cast off the ground and the end tackle went even further without blowing the bait to bits. I had similar results with a gentle fishing pendelum cast. Using a grip weight the rod sat fairly well in the rest considering it was a windy day and bites were easy to see.
All in all I think it is a decent rod for its type and if you prefer these continental style of rods and are fishing cleanish ground I don't think you will go far wrong, particularly if you want distance with a simple casting technique.
Mac
Ps. I own a Zippy Pro-Am match, Abu Suveran Sport and Conoflex Flatty Fanatic. Want my Conoflex cod 6 back and wish I had never sold it.

Ribfisher
Occasional
Occasional

rods

Post by Ribfisher »

Hi I mainly fish from a boat now it's an age thing ha ha

When beach fishing and yep i did it a lot of years .

My rods never seemed to be new and i don't remember if any of them even had names.
I must have bought them all second hand.

Anything between 13 and 16 foot.
Most seemed to be at that time heavy Glass fiber.

I still managed to win some casting badges up to 240 yards.

When i was getting them all together to sell of there were maybe 40 or more rods.

THEY were not worth a thing in today,s market the reason being that they were never heard of names or no name on them .

Now just the thought of trying to cast a 16 foot rod makes me pass out ha ha .

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

mac47
Occasional
Occasional

Re: Daiwa Longbeam beach caster 14ft!! What do you have?

Post by mac47 »

Seafishing wrote:as i have covered in the title this is my new rod which has literaly just come!!

Getting this rod it set me wondering what rod do you use? is it any good?
Good and bad points?

Will be testing her out friday gorleston beach i think!!
Just thought I would give you an update.
Went cod fishing in NE Scotland yesterday with couple of pals including the guy who owns the longbeam. This is hard ground fishing with kelp strewn gullies to navigate fish through. When I sw the longbeam being pulled out of the bag I thought you have got to be joking it couldn't cope with this ground especially with an easterly wind blowing the kelp in. Was I wrong!
The bite was hit the fish was hooked and I was told that it was only small fish. It actually was a cod of 7-8lb covered in the same weight of kelp. Hauled in with ease and to top it all the reel used was a Daiwa Regal 4000 not the biggest coffee grinder in the market.
I thought that this rod was good value for its type, that had more power than first appearances due the distance I could cast with it. After what I saw yesterday I reckon you have got a very good multi - purpose rod.
mac

hogwart
Occasional
Occasional

Post by hogwart »

hullo all i used a 14 foot longbeam 15 ft fox nemesis a k2 blue 16ft rod and their all good and i use them all with fixed spools and catch well ahead of all the really special stuff in the mags and it just goes to show the fish dont care about abu zipplex or hypo mag just bait so there you go good fishing to all >:D<