Beachcaster

Discussion of sea fishing rods, boat, beach, surf casting and spinning rods.
Lookin4Fish

Beachcaster

Post by Lookin4Fish »

bucko
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bucko »

The firefly rods seem to have had good reports this year, as for what will improve your casting distance, I would say learn a sound casting style and practice it until you know it inside out. Your choise of rod and reel will have an impact on distance but you wont know what will really suit you until you have had the chance to try out different bits of kit, this is difficult for a beginner but if you know someone that has rods and reels ask if you can have a few casts, but more importantly if you know someone who can cast well, then ask them if they will give you a few tips and advice. A cheap rod and reel will still reach a good distance in the right hands but an expensive set up wont go a very long way in the wrong hands. If you do buy a new rod get one that you can bend when you cast it because if its too stiff for your casting style you will struggle to get anywhere with it.

scubadude

Post by scubadude »

kirk

Post by kirk »

Fixed spool reels have little to choose between them for distance. The basic design for the casting aspect is simply line coming off of a spool, a tapered spool may be a little better but not by a great deal.

Line will be relevant and you should be using braid for a fixed spool and distance.

For additional range you are really talking about a longer rod. In general the tip velocity will be greater and so your distance goes up. Be warned that a rod that is too long for you will result in a slower tip speed and so lesser distance. Don't think that longer is better. Also weight will come into it.

I use a Firefly bass rod, 13ft, but I am not trying to throw big weights as far as possible into rough seas.

You could most easily add distance by getting a good smooth casting action.