Beach Casting Rods , which one and how far can they cast

Discussion of sea fishing rods, boat, beach, surf casting and spinning rods.
adrian77

Beach Casting Rods , which one and how far can they cast

Post by adrian77 »

hi all i am looking for a bit of advice.... lokkking to buy a new beachcaster rod, what sort of distant can i expect to cast with one and are they good of the rocks as well

geejay
Regular
Regular

Post by geejay »

depends how good at casting u r m8,

yep, they can b used off the rocks , but they'd be a bit heavy for float fishing or light spinning.

Mal-Nomates

Post by Mal-Nomates »

can you elaborate a little?

Are we talking about a fixed spool or multiplier rod?
What length of rod are you talking about?
What's your budget?

adrian77

advice needed

Post by adrian77 »

i am thinking of 13-14 ft, fixed spool as i can't be having multiplier.. i guess i am looking for a few tips in what to look out for?

Mal-Nomates

Post by Mal-Nomates »

Do a search for Greys.I'm sure they manufacture a 13 (might even be 14)foot fixed spool beachcaster.Greys make superb rods which are really well designed and handle well if you want to punch 5 ounces of lead over the horizon!

At the moment I'm fishing with a Penn Venom FS 13 foot and a Penn INXS Long Range 13 foot rod.Again,Penn put a lot of effort into making top class rods and these two examples have done me proud for a good few years,another highly recommended manufacturer.

As far as distances go,it really depends on your casting techniques and the rest of the tackle attached to the rod.As long as you have the right gear,a decent reel properly spooled and clip-down rigs for example,there's every chance you'll cast to both the full potential of yourself AND the equipment you're using.It's probably worth a trip to a local tackle dealer and get your hands on a few rods,especially if you are going for a 14 foot rod,since they can take some getting used to if you've not used one before.

As for prices you should be prepared to shell out at least a hundred spuds for rods like the ones I mentioned,possibly a fair bit more for the Greys,but it's money well spent and quality doesn't come cheap ;)

Have a good look around anyways and get the best you can afford is my advice.Let us know if you make a decision,it can help others reading your thread who may have the same question in mind.

Good luck..

adrian77

Post by adrian77 »

cheers mal thanks for the advice

Adrian

medlar
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by medlar »

well i mainly fish rock edges and cliffs and 9 times out of 10 i use my greys NITRA,either coupled up to my sl30sh or my supermag,although i can cast a fairly GOOD distance,form rock edges you dont need to be hitting a big cast,normally anywhere from 40-70 out will put you in among the fish,what you need to remember is,if you are not a big caster DO NOT but a out and out rock rod like an ANUBIS+,Century WR300 Conoflex Nemesis,as you wont be able to bend them,therefore hampering your casting,but as you say you want a rod for rocks and beaches go for something that covers mixed to heavy ground