Fishing Rod with no Rings

Discussion of sea fishing rods, boat, beach, surf casting and spinning rods.
rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Fishing Rod with no Rings

Post by rabbi2 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:50 am

Hi I have a Shakespeare Aerial Boat Rod 30lb class that doesn't have rings as the line is fed into the lower half of the rod and out through the top.

Great for those kelp or rocky areas where you may have to bully your tackle free but a bit of a sod threading the line into the rod and out through the top as you have to use thin wire to do this.
Haas anyone seen any other rod on the market with a similar setup? Cheers keith :D :D :D

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:57 am

Hi rab, i was fishing at brighton marina a while back and the chinese chap next to me had a light daiwa interline rod , looked nice and the whiting rattled the tip well. The main problem with them is they are prone to `weed down the tip `ole' and the internal guides can crack and fall out so take a bit of care not to treat them too rough. sniggle

mudlark

Post by mudlark » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:01 pm

Haven't seen one lately and I'm not really surprised. You've already mentioned the problem with loading the line through the centre but they also suffer with terrible (and very terminal) line wear problems as whatever method you use there is no way of stopping the line from rubbing on the inside of the blank, although i seem to remember one manufacturer coated the inside of the blank with teflon and that went a long way to curing the problem as it reduces friction.

Its a shame really because in principle its actually a very good idea - the first time I saw it was in the late 70s when a british guy invented a beachcaster which used this principle .... it cast fine but didn't catch on because of the line wear problems and the fact that it had an ali joint which ruined the balance and made it look as ugly as hell .... if my memory serves me right it was called the cyclops? It would be interesting to know if there are still any of them about, they are probably in a rod collectors case by now I would imagine.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:08 pm

Thanks for the info just wondering wether to use it or to put it in my collection as it is new condition. Cheers keith :D

mudlark

Post by mudlark » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:10 pm

rabbi2 wrote:Thanks for the info just wondering wether to use it or to put it in my collection as it is new condition. Cheers keith :D
Give it a go if you fancy mate - you'll soon figure out if its worn inside as it will chafe your line.

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Post by essexkenny » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:05 pm

One thing that puzzles me with these interline rods is the price!! They're pretty expensive, especially whe in comparison to a standrard rod, they dont have the cost of precision made rings, with liners made from rather exotic metals !!

plank
Occasional
Occasional

Post by plank » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:08 pm

why not try a pole with elastic could be fun of a pier

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:06 pm

I have both the 20lb and 30lb versions of the Shakespeare interline rods. I've used them for decades without any line chafing. The blank doesn't damage the line its usually a buid up of salt crystals building up inside the blank that causes these problems. I always flush mine through with the hosepipe on my return home. The feel when playing fish is second to none but the line class ratings a bit out. I use the 20lb very regularly the 30lb is too heavy for my use. I discarded the wire threader years ago and use 400LB Skate trce mono with a small hole drilled in the end to pull the reel line through. Use the rod, it's what its for. If you come across a 20lb version snap it up, you wont regret it. George.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:45 pm

The one I have is an Aerial Interline Boat rod, 30lb class 2.10 meters.
It certainly creates an interest when viewed for the first time. Cheers keith :D :D

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by MadKev » Sun May 24, 2009 9:27 am

Daiwa Interline beach rod, quite stiff action but is perfect for fishing off the rocks: no rings or fittings to get damaged, don't really need a tripod so less to carry. Put heat shrink all along the bottom section, there's no bend action in that anyway. Mine's 10'6" long now, I cut the butt down from, I think, 12'6".

One point - put an 8mm bead on BEFORE the mainline swivel - jamming swivels inside the tip is bad practice.

There's still a few about but their heyday passed some years ago, I suspect they were aimed at the wrong sections of the market. If they were produced now in 21st century materials and quality, I'd still have a new one so long as I could fit match quiver tips.

Don
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Don » Mon May 25, 2009 8:14 am

I remember the cyclops - they made a casting version (as potentially the first rod to break the 300 yard barrier) and it was certainly ugly!

Sea Angler did an article on it and if I can find it, I will post an extract.

Don

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Mon May 25, 2009 8:29 am

Cheers Don it would certainly make interesting reading.
Cheers
keith :D :D