Inshore Fishing Limits ?

Anything East Coast Sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

Romster

Inshore Fishing Limits ?

Post by Romster » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:18 am

Does anyone know how close to the beach commercial fishing boats are allowed to fish . I was on Shingle street beach walking the dog when a fishing boat from Orford left the river mouth and came within 200yds of the shore and dropped a net . He then motored out to approximately 400yds dropped a buoy and motored out towards orford ness .There must be a limit ship to shore distance for netting no wonder the beach fishing's going down the pan. :(

smallfry
Occasional
Occasional

Post by smallfry » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:45 pm

hi mate after a quick look on the net (excuse the pun lol ) there doesn't seem to be any limit it depends on what they were fishing for ie shrimps or soles so they can come in really close by the sounds of it. but like you say it make sense of why shore fishing is declining.
ian

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:41 am

Inshore fishing has been done for hundreds of years. I'm not particularly supporting the commercials but I don't believe this sort of activity by local small boats makes much difference. I suspect that it is the large trawlers with their hi-tech methods hoovering up tons of fish at a time that are the real culprits.

Romster

Post by Romster » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:45 am

Hi Eccles I understand the problems with deep sea hoovering of fish stocks. It just seems a shame the inshore fishing industry scoops up the last remaining fish before the shore angler can gets a look in. After all the shore fishing has been so poor over the last few years the only hope we have left of catching a decent fish is taken away by what can only be described as beach netting.
Ps thanks for your to input Ian. :((