Fish swallowing hooks...

Anything East Coast Sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

Harrris

Fish swallowing hooks...

Post by Harrris » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:12 pm

Hi all, just wondering what everyone's views are on what to do when a fish has swallowed the hook.
Obviously if the fish is of a legal size then I'd usually just knock it on the head, but I'm really talking about when an undersized fish, probably a flattie with a tiny mouth, has swallowed the hook right down.
My assumption is that it's going to die whatever happens, whether you try to get the hook out, or even just cut the hook off your line.
What does everyone else reckon?

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:00 pm

Quite rare in my experience, I can usually get them out with small forceps. However, although it's a shame, when it does occasionally happen, I despatched them quickly despatch by cutting off the head with a fillet knife.

slipperyeel
Regular
Regular

Post by slipperyeel » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:01 pm

check this vid clip out on you tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b3Z0P9uOs4

Throbbly

Post by Throbbly » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:58 pm

This happened to us yesterday at Mudeford Quay. My daughter landed a small flounder that had taken the hook right down. She persevered with 6" forceps and,after three or four minutes she managed to free it.I expected the worse,but the little chap dived for the bottom immediately I put it back.
She caught a couple more, and I got one just under a pound that filleted nicely. All on ragworm and a spoon,cast and slow rewound .

seaweed

Post by seaweed » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:32 pm

I would suggest getting a T bar. They are very effective at getting hooks out without loads off tugging and pulling. You should be able to pick one up new for about five quid. As regards cutting off the hook and leaving it in the fish this has been disscussed sometime ago in a fishing mag and at the time comments where made that most types of hook would rust away if left in.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:42 pm

T-bars are only any use for hooks towards the mouth; not much good for gut-hooked fish. There is a tool that extracts and reverses the hook before removal, which may be worth getting.

Going through the gills with forceps/pliers can work: see
http://www.a-guide-to-florida-bass-fish ... -hook.html for one approach.

With school bass, using your middle finger pushed down into the hook bend can be effective; helps to have long fingers. (Some species too toothy for this.)

Otherwise it is better to try and avoid deep hooking if possibly - circle hooks are a good idea, but for worm baits a much larger hook reduces deep hooking, a 3/0 for whiting for example, one of the worst species for swallowing the hook in my experience.

Barrel disgorgers work well for coarse fishing. Seems to be a scaled up version would work with large hooks, but I've never seen one.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:41 pm

A trick I learnt many years ago was a (Swizzle Stick). This can be in the form of a Pencil or Biro placed into the fishes mouth trapping the line against the pencill and twisting the fish around in a fast circle.

Not very pretty but effective for the smaller species.
Cheers
keith :D :D

Harrris

Post by Harrris » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Really helpful, cheers.