interesting read

Anything East Coast Sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

interesting read

Post by andy1_i »

it looks like fisheries protection is now firmly in the political aswell as the social spotlight and i think its only the tip of the iceberg

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/other-spor ... t_1_772367

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

I noticed this piece earlier today. I didn't think sea anglers had even been polled on whether they wanted a sea licence. In any case, without knowing how a sea licence income might be spent, any such arguments are inopportune.

But then Keith Arthur, coarse match fisherman, is perhaps not the best judge of this. And sea anglers are no more tight-fisted and apathetic as coarse; they are obliged to buy a licence anyway.

spike11

Post by spike11 »

Unless they use the money raised to for the up keep of things on the coast and wildlife conservation.
I go fly fishing as well so an extra rod licance would not mean that much to me, but might mean more to people on a limited budget and only go sea fishing due to this.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

If the powers that be took the time to find out what sea anglers want and what they are prepared to accept then they wouldn't go off with hairbrained proposals such as a rod licence without giving a thought of how to police it or what to spend the money to improve our situation.

To obtain that information they need look no futher than this site and other sites like it.

How many piers have we lost through sheer neglect? a comodity that most old folk and disabled anglers cherished.

The victorians were great at building piers and suchlike and were great forward thinkers catering for the general public.
Where did it all go wrong?
Cheers
keith :D :D

spike11

Post by spike11 »

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

rabbi2 wrote:
The victorians were great at building piers and suchlike and were great forward thinkers catering for the general public.
Where did it all go wrong?
Cheers
keith :D :D
Where indeed. Society is left to crumble along with the piers, libraries... but that's a long painful political story, on which I could vent much spleen, but which would be getting away from sea fishing.

But yes, a licence would need proper justification before introduction, but like many others I can see many areas related to fishing on which money could be well spent, and wouldn't mind contributing myself.