Any Help

Anything East Coast Sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

spike11

Any Help

Post by spike11 »

Hi All
Well a newbie here at 50 i have taken up fishing, got some basic gear, but not sure how to go on, i have been recording Disc shed every day and bought a few books, so i think i am ready to cast out, is Skegness ok for a newbie been looking round the site and got some good tips, if anyone out there would like to take me for a day just to show me how to get on it would help, willing to pay petrol and dinner at the fish shop if i don't catch anything Lol :)

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

welcome fella.im sure one of the guys will hook up with you and show you the ropes.

all the best

Andy

spike11

Post by spike11 »

Yep a few lads from the local have been helping me out, this site and a few others have helped plus a book. having virgin helps i can record all the fishing programs on discovery Shed from 5:30 in the morning

fishhunter
Regular
Regular

Post by fishhunter »

the programmes are ok for watching as i watch them over and over.
As for advice you dont really get much advice on them for anglers just the occasional little bit about rigs if you are lucky.
Skegness isnt my area but a clean beach would be the best option until you get used to the casting and retreiving of your rigs and leads.
2 or 3 hook flapper rigs will probably be suffice to start with and you could try a 2 up 1 down or a 1 up 1 down rig which is a flapper rig but the bottom hook length is just above the weight to keep the bait hard on the sea bed.
Cant give you advice on where to fish as I said its not my area but someone will probably be along with more local knowledge to help.
In the meantime good luck and welcome to the mad world of sea angling and the forum which is a valuable scource of knowledge.
Fishhunter

spike11

Post by spike11 »

Cheers Fishhunter, will go with that to start with, finding my feet on here some good advice, and been looking at the rigs and things are slowly sliping into place.

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 »

hi mate and welcome
teaching yourself as you go along is the best way i think
rig making is also good fun, once you have mastered the basic rigs ( pennel, paternoster, flapper, up, down rigs ) you can experiment and invent your own

tight lines and enjoy your fishing

aston

smallfry
Occasional
Occasional

Post by smallfry »

Hi spike11 not sure about Skegness beaches but chapel beaches are quite good beaches to fish . I started on them about 3 years ago with pretty good results. I had my first cod last year and a bass followed. There's flounder and dab's most of the year and late October onwards whiting are queing to get on your hooks next time I'm going I'll pm you to see if your free.

spike11

Post by spike11 »

Thanks all. well got the gear so time to cast out, thanks for all your advice and i have learned a lot just from this site.

So i will let you know how i get on and when and if i get my first fish

Cheers Spike11

Finglis

Post by Finglis »

Tight lines spike

If you need to know how to lose tackle in any conditions, bird nest a multiplier first cast every time! , tangle the simplest of rigs just taking them out the bag, twang the expensive head lamp over the pier, get a tip light stuck in the top eye, use a whole spool of bait elastic on one 3-hook flapper rig, cast a lead 200 yards plus (without the line going with it that is) or spear your foot through your wellie with the tripod leg !...I'm your man!

However I'm a reasonable fly fisher!

As Aye!
Frank

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

I Must go fishing with you sometime but Ill leave my rods at home and take the video camera instead lol :D :D >:) >:) >:) >:) >:)
Cheers
keith :D :D

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Judgegeoff »

Hi Spike11,

My daughter gave me a copy of "River Cottage Handbook of Sea Fishing" by Nick Fisher for my Christmas present and it is an ideal book for a new angler (or someone like me who is returning after a 20 year absence). It covers when and where to go fishing, weather winds and tides, the fish you might catch, tackle and kit, bait, fishing skills and fish preparation and cooking. It is not a huge book, but has 256 pages crammed with information and advice, backed up with excellent drawings and colour photographs. My only criticisms (and they are very minor) is that the type is rather small and I need my reading glasses to read it - and I am tempted to buy some other handbooks in the series - and will no doubt end up with a shelf full!

A highly recommended reference book.

Cheers, Geoff :D :D :D

spike11

Post by spike11 »

Will look at thet book cheers, and i think we should all go fishing with Frank if we don't catch anything we all have a a crack at getting some good You Tube footage, i am the same with a multi so gone on to a spool, plus i can tie the hooks on pull them and stick them in my hand Lol