cod from orford - any tips?

Anything East Coast Sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

keepsdreaming

cod from orford - any tips?

Post by keepsdreaming » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:21 pm

i see on another forum that orford did a 25lber last night as well as a 6, 9, 12.

it seems the big cod are there - i am going to do a trip there this week, any hints or tips for where to fish or tactics? long/short range (bearing in mind i can ony cast 80 yards....!)

bait? will whole squid on pennels be ok? do i need heavier leads than 6oz?

is there any special tackle requirements? will i loose lots of gear?

is night or day best?

thanks guys!

westy
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by westy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:50 pm

just read that report on other site, yep that 25 was court on friday nite up toward the lighthouse and the 6,9,12 court on the saturday at the narrows, it looks like the boats have now started to hook into some nice fish to.

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:43 am

i take it you are doing the island? ive only done the narrows,i suggest you take a walk to the left of the drop off point for about 10-15 mins,ive found this to be pretty snag free,youre casting range is fine,even closer can pay off,the tide can and does rip through there,so start on 6oz long spike uptide sinkers (namix design are good),some guys i know advocate the use of long pulley rigs upto 4-5 foot!!! or even up and over rigs.whole squid on a pennel is a good idea as a sleeper rod,then you can mess about with a scratching gear.

im no expert on orford,and you may get better advice than i can give.

best of luck fella.

looks like pete the ferrymans bookings are going to soar now

actionsanta
Occasional
Occasional

Post by actionsanta » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:54 am

I have caught cod before, from Orford Narrows! I used whole squid whipped onto a 2/0 pulley rig 2 ft long! 7 oz sinker. Tide really does rip through hard! So you may think you have snagged, when in fact, the tide has pushed loads of shingle onto your sinker! If this happens hold your rod parallel to the water, take your reel out of gear thumb the spool, and gently pull back. 9 Times out of 10 this will free you!

The bigger fish are always caught on a night tide or when the tide is about 7pm on a winters night!

Love it there... Good luck!

Tight lines

Steve