Anything East Coast Sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

Advice Gt Yarmouth & Weyboourne

Post by MadKev »

Hi Troops,

Evening comp Fri 19 Jan at GY, daylight comp Sat 20 Jan at Weybourne. Looking for recent catch reports please, thanks to all who replied with local knowledge during Dec. Won't have a choice of pegs or bait so max catch report info is a big help. Thanks, MK.

slashley
Regular
Regular

Post by slashley »

Only seen the odd match report from Weybourne. Was won with a fair weight and made up as far as I know by loads of dabs, with maybe the odd flounder and whiting. ( couple of weeks back ) The whiting are starting to show up here and the codling have started to put in an appearance. I have caught loads of dabs Weybourne way using lug/squid. Unfortunately if you catch say ten of em, seven or eight will be undersize. This is what I found anyway. I seem to get most of mine at about fifty to eighty yards distance. On really rough days I have had some sizeable flounders at thirty to sixty yards. Under the cliffs at Weybourne ( Right of car park ) it is snaggy but in front of the car park and to the Left, it is fairly ok. Remember some change cos car park is 60 pence an hour!
As far as Gt. Yarmouth goes I have seen reports of odd sizeable codling, some nice whiting, dabs and odd sizeable schoolie to about two and a half pounds. Gt. Yarmouth is a deep water venue ( North Beach anyway; never fished South Beach ) with strong lateral currents and also depending on the day; the chance of weed. Most people I know fish it at short to medium range, especially if there is weed on the day. I have had it there in the past when the weight is being dragged out by it. When retrieved there was about four to six feet of the stuff up the line. Hopefully it will be ok on the day. Good luck. :)
Last edited by slashley on Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

satan

Post by satan »

i fished cromer pier last saturday 5th had loads of bites just couldnt hit them but did take home 5 whiting 3 dabs and chucked back a bass just under size and a lobster

slashley
Regular
Regular

Post by slashley »

At least you got a few and a bit of a variety too satan. Reports I have seen or heard from Cromer pier have been very hit and miss lately. :) Sometimes struggling for the odd undersize whiting or flattie.

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

Weybourne and Gt Yarmouth

Post by MadKev »

Thanks Troops,

Thanks for responses, didn't realise Cromer was so near until I checked the map.
Change of plan. Because I don't know them places well I've taken another day off to arrive a day early for practice sessions, try to get both beaches done. This belies my pre-match nerves / excitement. Other sources give a 12lb mixed bag winning weight for a social match at Weybourne last week? Whiting and dabs. All saying much the same about Gt yarmouth: specimen-sized lost tackle snags, weed, tide, organised gangs of feral cats (but he was weird, that bloke). Fish, blacks and rag are no problem to bring but can I buy fresh-outs / yellows in Norfolk, or must I dig? I'd rather buy and spend precious time fishing. Any recommended shops on or near the A47 or coastline, or are lug rare at present? If not, scrub it.
All I do is ask, I know, but if any readers are going between Chesil and Hayling I'll reciprocate or possibly even join them. MK.

Magictoys
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Magictoys »

When fishing in norfolk for bait i have allways used Gorlsten tackle centre but bait needs to be pre orded in winter, there number is 01493 662448

they have common lug and rag as fresh baits. And all the standard frozen baits including razor, peeler and blacks at times! As for fresh yellows if you find a shop up that way that has them in then please do share :wink:

I last fished that way at christmas mostly whiting to lug tipped with fish or crab, the better whiting on the lug tipped with crab.

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

Gt Yarmouth & Weybourne

Post by MadKev »

Thanks, MagicToys.

I'll phone them Tues, and PM the answer either way. Don't want a run on the shop if they're the only place in the world with any left.

Thanks to all, I suspect I have enough but do keep posting if you have new info. MK

Magictoys
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Magictoys »

LOL i imagine that most of the other anglers fishing the GT Yarmouth match will also order there bait from there...

If they dont have bait then let me know and can give you the numbers for several other shops but i think this is the best one and the advice they give on local fishing is pretty good to.

satan

Post by satan »

slashey without hesitating i must of missed about 50 bites all day am wondering about trying circle hooks wat do u reckon on them
nick

slashley
Regular
Regular

Post by slashley »

Nick, sounds like I could pick a few tips up from ya. :) Some people I know have tried them but results have not been conclusive. Got to be worth a go though for self confidence I would say. For a relatively small outlay it must be worth making a few rigs up with circle hooks so that you can perhaps use em side by side with your normal rigs and compare notes. There are things you can do to help with hooking rates on normal set ups, but you might be doing those already. I always used Mustad hooks from the seventies then found that I preferred Kamasans when they were launched. I have never used anything else since really and don't usually have a problem with missed bites.
Sometimes it does happen but I find it is usually when there is little or no tide run. I have only been in Norfolk since last May so still learning the ropes up here. If ya fancy a session sometime give us a shout. :)

concrete

Post by concrete »

Satan wrote
slashey without hesitating i must of missed about 50 bites all day am wondering about trying circle hooks wat do u reckon on them
nick
It might have been dabs giving you the bites. They'll give a good tug, but often they don't get hooked. Before you try the circle hooks, try going down to a size 4 hook and not too big a bait and let the bites develop. Striking dab bites immediately is a good way of missing them.

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

weybourne and gt yarmouth

Post by MadKev »

Well, we fished both venues this fri and sat. Evening at gt Yarmouth, some codling for me at zero distance (size ten carp hooks and tiny squid strips, trying for rockling) due to dogged presence of a seal. Saturday at Weybourne in daylight, harsh winds made hard work. Dabs, codling, pollack across all zones, whiting & rockling for me and a few others. Best fishing was near the wreck, which was visible.
Thanks to everyone who supplied info, final score was SAMF won, Police GB second, Combined Services third, Fire GB fourth. MK