THIS COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE!

Anything East Coast Sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

THIS COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE!

Post by andy1_i »

hi guys and gals,i thought between the lot of us we could put a angling safety guide together,heres my proposal,we all add to the post and in the end i will edit (with permission) it all so it becomes a full comprehensive guide. please include safety tips for boat users also.

any questions please dont hesitate to PM me

thanks >:D<

Andy

heres my starter for ten: if you go overboard/fall in the wet stuff REMOVE YOUR FOOTWEAR they will drag you down like bricks

newbee
Occasional
Occasional

Post by newbee »

if fishing in the dark wear jackets with hi viz on.
if you fall in the wet stuff save ur self before ur gear, you can get new rods and stuff but there is only one you.
aways let people know where your fishing and a time to expect you back

edwards73
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by edwards73 »

check tide and heights before leaving incase the area you intend fishing becomes cut off , always keep the tide in front and never behind you

jim79
Regular
Regular

Post by jim79 »

always carry a mobile phone whether shore or boat fishing , havnt got 1 ? go get 1 , most supermarkets sell a basic phone for under a tenner these days

squidhead
Regular
Regular

Post by squidhead »

How about some kind of panic alarm or a whistle. I have both, and thank god never had to use them yet.
Martyn

ducker

safety first

Post by ducker »

always fish in pairs if something happens to one the other can go and get help

ducker

fishhunter
Regular
Regular

Post by fishhunter »

check out a new mark at high and low water before fishing it so you can at least gather some information on what the sea state is like at both ends of the tide.

p.s after the deaths of some anglers (including foreign ones) a guy i know on another forum has came up with the idea for actually printing a safety guide to rock/shore fishing in the uk.
This has input from coastguard/RNLI and other forum members and will be printed in various languages and handed out for free in tackle shops in Scotland and i hope it can become a national thing.
The guy is putting a lot of his time and effort into it along with others and has been offered so much help with it it should be a success.

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

ok thanks so far for the response,a few pointers! single fishing safety,we all like to go on our own from time to time,and im NOT going to mention the use of those whistles attached to float suit (chocolate fireguard lol,ok i mentioned it),but apart from that all the tips so far are great,im making a list ,and have spoken to other mods

all the best

Andy

TBONE76

Post by TBONE76 »

Beware of using old lead sinkers that you may of found on the beach, these need careful inspection as the metal eye can become weak if corrosion has set in, this can be very dangerous when casting if the eye breaks. Also inspect rig end swivels for the same reason as above.

I remember fishing at Dungeness a few months ago and watching this guy Pendullum casting while the beach was packed, this could be fatal if the line parts while the blank is compressed, firing the lead in any given direction. Im not against Pendullum casting as i use this casting method myself but if the beach is very busy it could end up a disaster.

Always check the condition of the eyes of your rod, cracked or damaged eyes could break you line. Check leader knots regular, especially on your braid reels, braid will in time damage the mono part of the knot.....

stinky_wiem
Regular
Regular

Post by stinky_wiem »

andy1_i wrote:,and im NOT going to mention the use of those whistles attached to float suit (chocolate fireguard lol,ok i mentioned it),
You may mock them, but in poor visability they may help.

It's also worth remembering to tell people where you are fishing and to give them an approximate time you intend to finish.

Southender
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Southender »

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

it may sound obvious, but always adhere to the local authority and coast guard rules ad regulations. i know of two people who were nearly killed after being washed off the loca pier (the same weekend that a local agler was killed, not far away) after the pier had been closed by the local authority due to very severe conditions.

i always keep a surival whistle, red army issue glow flare (available from most army surplus and good camping stores) and (not sure if or why i'll ever use it, but its easy to get lost in unknown areas and better to be safe than sorry) a compass. also always keep a first aid kit with you, i dosnt take up much space and you can keep everythig from pain killers and antihistimines, to sterri strips and dressings.

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

some great advice there guys ,i like it.

also, DO NOT RISK YOUR SAFETY FOR THAT FISH OF A LIFETIME,IT COULD BE YOUR LAST!! sorry to shout

always take something to drink and eat with you (more than you think you will need)

a very cheap first aid kit i got was from a pound shop,measures 5in x 3in,and i have it clipped to my clippers and forceps,its a basic kit but something is better than nothing

all the best

Andy

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

Just to add my proviso about the 112 number that disappeared during the changeover.

No signal (ie no bars on phone screen) means you will be out of touch of any network.

Triangulation only works when you are in radio sight of at least 2 masts. Phones are not like one of those GPS gizmos. Be aware of this in remote locations.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Common Sense aint all that common !

Cheers
keith :D :D