Aldeburgh and Walton 19&20 December

Anything East Coast Sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

chrisandrich
Occasional
Occasional

Aldeburgh and Walton 19&20 December

Post by chrisandrich »

Late report for the above. My original plan was to fish the day tide at Aldeburgh and then the night tide at Walton. However, after spending 8 hours on the beach I felt like getting warm and to my surprise was given the green light to go out again on the Sunday at Walton during the day so went home and had a few beers in the warmth of my local.

19 December - Aldeburgh

Picked up bait from Saxmundam tackle commons and frozen blacks to go with squid from my freezer. Bait was pretty good quality and I would use again. Arrived at Aldeburgh at around 11.00 and had already decided to fish from an easy spot ie between the Martello tower and the hotel. Not too many people on the beach so picking a spot was no problem. Chose to fish in front of the bins as this was about the spot where I had seen codling caught a couple of weeks ago - the only ones that I saw that day. Got set up and for three - four hours nothing except for weed. Fished 4/0 and 5/0 pulley pennels loaded with squid, squid/lug and lug and a 2/0 loop rig with lug tipped with squid. Dont know the exact time but weed was getting pretty bad and people were starting to drift off and to be honest I was too - however I had a rig baited up and decided to chuck it out. After about 20 minutes decided to reel in and it felt like the proverbial weed again but to my surprise as I got sight of the leader I could see a codling on the end together with loads of weed. Now I don't know if this is the recommended technique but I took a chance and reeled in as much as possible ignoring the weed and then managed to get the fish on a wave beached it and then ran down the beach and grabbed it. Turned out to be a shade over 3lb and had taken both baits on the loop rig. So I Decided to persevere and the weed did ease off but no more action. I did not see any whiting all day and reports from others that I talked too were similar. Around 18.00 packed in and headed home.

20 December - Walton

Same bait as yesterday - didn't tell the missus that I put the left over worms in the fridge overnight until after I got back. Arrived at about 10.00 and was surprised to see only 4 other anglers 2 on the stem and 2 on the end. The top left space was available so headed there. Fished with the same rigs and bait combinations as the previous day. No real bites for a couple of hours then had a rattle on the pennel rig and landed a codling of about 1-1.5lb just about legal but it went back to get bigger (took whole squid stuffed with lug on a 4/0 pennel). Then nothing until sometime around 14.30 when I had a tiny bite on the loop rig at this time the ebb was still running and it took a while to connect with the fish and it definitely felt better than the first fish. slackened off the drag and took my time to reel it in. Got it to the side of the pier and it looked big enough to require the drop net - big thanks to Kirk and Dean for helping out with the net. Fish netted and safely landed - on inspection both hooks had small whiting on and I guess the codling went for one of those and fortunately got well hooked. Fish weighed in at 4.5lb. Immediately got a live bait rig out and swapped over hoping for a similar result - nothing came of it though. About 40 minutes later was on the phone to the wife telling her that I would try and pack in on time for a change when had a really good bite told her that I had to go. Would down and felt quite a heavy weight - followed the same procedure as last time - although this time I could feel its head nodding quite strongly. I thought that I might have a really good fish on. Managed to tire it out and with the help of Kirk and Dean again and after what felt like an age manoevered the fish into the drop net. This one tipped the scales at 6.25lb a best for me off the pier (took a large lug bait tipped with squid on 5/0 pennel). Nothing after that and left around 16.15. Whilst I was there Kirk and Dean had a couple of whiting and a codling - hope you had a few more later, pleasure to meet both of you.

All the fish were in very good condition and to my surprise anyway all were females. Fresh cod and chips Sunday night and some for the freezer not a bad result for the weekend and made the near 350 mile drive worth it.

Merry Christmas to everyone and may the new year bring a bumper spring cod run.

Richard

westy
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by westy »

WELL DONE MATE GLAD YOU COURT SOME. I MITE MAKE A TRIP DOWN WALTON ON THE 30TH? HIGH TIDE ABOUT 10AM AND ITS NOT A BAD TIDE
Last edited by westy on Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisandrich
Occasional
Occasional

Post by chrisandrich »

Would like to join you but it is the wife's birthday and I doubt whether a fishing trip is quite what she has in mind......

Hebby09

Post by Hebby09 »

Well Done on the fish C&R

4CodsSake
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by 4CodsSake »

Great reports thanks for sharing :)

Craig