Occasional
Occasional

sandeels

Post by davethecod »

are we talking live or dead

seaotter

Re: SandEels

Post by seaotter »

Using dead sandeels if you are legering on the beach pass the hook into the mouth and then down the entire length of the eel's body so that the hookpoint emerges about 12mm from the tail. Wrap the sandeel with shirring elastic to secure it.
Cut greater sandeel into chunks and tie on to the hook with elastic. And fillet the larger ones.
For float fishing pass the point of a size 2 hook through the eyes and then about 12mm farther down, just past the gill cover. It's essential to make sure the hook point isn't masked. Impale a sandeel not longer than 7.5cm on a small hook. #:-S

Regards
Seaotter

osean
Occasional
Occasional

Post by osean »

If my sand eels are frozen as they usually are then I use a baiting needle, passing it through the eel when frozen does not break it up as much, then as seaotter states use elastic to secure. I thread mine so that the finished eel is head first into the tide, whether this make a difference or not I don't know.
Will

jread

best rig to use

Post by jread »

thanks for all your help and was rig is the best

oggy_chomper

Post by oggy_chomper »

HI matey I just hook in mouth and down through body and wrap with elastic, heres an idea i've not tried but may work..http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Videos/Fishi ... -playlist/

leadchukka14

Post by leadchukka14 »

HIYA J,i always use pennels for 2 reasons,1 it stops eel bunching on single hook,and secondly it gives better hook ups as fish will hit either end.

mike